Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: A new Rye from Beam?

I just want a great bottle of rye whiskey and I hope Beam can make me one. And frankly, I don't see why the packaging is an issue around here.

If you put swill in a hand-blown glass bottle decked out in masterpiece art, I won't be buying it.

But if you put the nectar of the heavenlies in a large tub plasstered with nude photos of Margret Thatcher, I will get past my disgust for the packing and drink it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OldJack View Post
    I just want a great bottle of rye whiskey and I hope Beam can make me one. And frankly, I don't see why the packaging is an issue around here.

If you put swill in a hand-blown glass bottle decked out in masterpiece art, I won't be buying it.

But if you put the nectar of the heavenlies in a large tub plasstered with nude photos of Margret Thatcher, I will get past my disgust for the packing and drink it.
    You know I never heard it put quite that way, but I agree and I suppose that many here agree.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OldJack View Post

Yep. Once the whiskey is out of the bottle and in your glass, taste is 100% of the experience.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Yep. Once the whiskey is out of the bottle and in your glass, taste is 100% of the experience.
    If that were really true, I'll bet more of us would be much fonder of Basil Hayden's (I know I would -- 80 proof notwithstanding!)

The QPR concept is probably inversely proportionate to the fashion sense of the bottle, and that's where I'm cautious about ri(1). John Hansell says it's better than the baseline ryes -- but at what price premium?

(Hell, I'll try it and I'll probably like it...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Enthusiast

I'll try it as well. Any new whiskey is whiskey to be tasted, in my book.

The name, (ri)1, is reminds me of new product packaging from Coke or Pepsi. A very soft drink-like name, if you ask me. I suppose this is representative of early 21st century style and design.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

Not trying to be defensive on behalf of Beam here, I'm generally annoyed by the way they do things, but to what extent was Booker's or Knob Creek's packaging a break from tradition? Clearly both were designed to appeal to a sense of tradition: sturdy, workmanlike on the KC end especially, but there weren't other bourbons packaged like this. Our dusty hunting (and, for some members, memory) has proven that most American mainline whiskey bottled in the late 1980s was in standard cylindrical bottles with shoulders, and the only real differences among them were tiny flourishes like the rye embossed on the Charter bottles. The labels were generally not particularly artistic in their approach (though there's a kitschy element to many of the ND labels). I think Beam might see here that premium American whiskey packaging lately has been almost exclusively focused on fetishizing early twentieth century Americana (most prominently seen in the Sazerac Jr. bottle) and that there's another way to take things: the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories, and nothing like any whiskey bottle on the market. I don't love it, but it's certainly going to distinguish itself immediately from everything else in proximity to it on the shelf.

Regards,

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Not trying to be defensive on behalf of Beam here, I'm generally annoyed by the way they do things, but to what extent was Booker's or Knob Creek's packaging a break from tradition? Clearly both were designed to appeal to a sense of tradition: sturdy, workmanlike on the KC end especially, but there weren't other bourbons packaged like this. Our dusty hunting (and, for some members, memory) has proven that most American mainline whiskey bottled in the late 1980s was in standard cylindrical bottles with shoulders, and the only real differences among them were tiny flourishes like the rye embossed on the Charter bottles. The labels were generally not particularly artistic in their approach (though there's a kitschy element to many of the ND labels). I think Beam might see here that premium American whiskey packaging lately has been almost exclusively focused on fetishizing early twentieth century Americana (most prominently seen in the Sazerac Jr. bottle) and that there's another way to take things: the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories, and nothing like any whiskey bottle on the market. I don't love it, but it's certainly going to distinguish itself immediately from everything else in proximity to it on the shelf.

Regards,
    I agree, Tim. I think Beam, is trying to appeal to a whole different demo, than that which is buying rye currently. Maybe, going after a younger and more image conscious consumer? One, who thinks bourbon and rye are still their dad's drink, and not "cool" to order in a bar or have on their home bar. The packaging and name of this rye screams 21st century cool, to me at least. I suppose Beam thinks that the current 21-34 demo is ready to move on to brown liquors, but is still concerned with how they look ordering it. I would foresee commercials or print ads with slick, sophisticated looking, twentysomething's at a cool bar ordering "ri1's on the rocks" or "ri1 and some..."cool mixer". Kinda like the Ammoreto diSorono commercials. I think rye is the right product to go with this. A bourbon promoted like this would be more difficult. Overcoming, the preconceived notions of it would prove more difficult. Just saying "rye", sounds "lighter" and more "refreshing"...more today.

In addition, the regular whiskey drinker is going to notice this bottle on the liquor store shelf. He's going to think, hey, I haven't heard of rye in years. This looks pretty cool. Nice bottle. Looks good enough to try.

This package is going to get attention. I like their idea. I think they have a shot at doing something with this. I'm also sure the Beam execs are feeling a whole lot better, knowing that Smokinjoe likes their idea... I don't suspect their tripping over each other to get me on the phone for more analysis of their product launches.

Cheers!

JOE

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    the packaging looks a lot like recently introduced high-end spirits and liqueurs in a variety of categories
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The packaging and name of this rye screams 21st century cool, to me at least. I suppose Beam thinks that the current 21-34 demo is ready to move on to brown liquors, but is still concerned with how they look ordering it. I would foresee commercials or print ads with slick, sophisticated looking, twentysomething's at a cool bar ordering "ri1's on the rocks" or "ri1 and some..."cool mixer". Kinda like the Ammoreto diSorono commercials. I think rye is the right product to go with this. A bourbon promoted like this would be more difficult. Overcoming, the preconceived notions of it would prove more difficult. Just saying "rye", sounds "lighter" and more "refreshing"...more today.
    There's no question the packaging targets a certain demographic, and those who have DH Krahn, Skyy 90 and Rubi Rey sitting on their shelf would surely prefer they be joined by a bottle of (rī)1 than of Saz Jr.

I also agree that rye is less hindered by the "good ol' boy" baggage that bourbon drags with it (the line from the Don McLean song notwithstanding).

Beyond that I think it's also an attempt to take advantage of the current renaissance in mixed drinks. Rye is a great mixing whiskey, and the zeitgeist may be just right for this product and its packaging. A few months ago, the local paper's "Entertainment" section had an article on two new trendy bars in town. Both featured the Sazerac as signature cocktails. Since then the one local store that sells Ritt BiB has had trouble keeping it in stock.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

After getting chased indoors by a down pour of rain, I decided to check the Ohio liquor control department's website and to my amazement, there was a listed price for (ri)1: it varies from 48.35 to 49.95 depending on location. Now Ohio has in the past jacked up prices on stuff that is common as dirt in other areas, but I can't imagine this brand being overpriced by 20.00 to 25.00 vs. those other areas. With no age statement, a fancy bottle and only a 6% increase in proof over JB and OO rye, I can hardly wait to run out and buy a bottle. NOT!

Thomas

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I say amen to that Brad and my sole comment on the package is that I prefer screw cap instead of natural cork.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey