This is a tasting I promised to do months ago after Gary generously gave me a bottle during the Sampler that he thought interesting. I'll have to let him chime in on the specifics if he remembers, as the writing on the neck label has completely faded away, except to note that this particular barrel was aged in rick R-19.

Color: Deep amber in the bottle that lightens to a brilliant orange-sunset in the glass. Legs are pronounced.

Aroma: First pass reveals some alcohol with notes of leather, wood and dried fruit. A second pass, from slightly further away, uncovers a nice cherry tone with hints of cinnamon. Maybe a little vanilla as a backdrop.

Taste: Slight alcohol burn on the tip of the tongue, followed by a nice dose of vanilla, honey and leather. Wood and an almost minty cinnamon flavor are pronounced on the second sip. A little bit of the cherry carries over from the nose.

Finish: A short burn on the back of the throat fades quickly, leaving a subtle, lingering cinnamon aftertaste.

Overall: I'll admit that I have never been much of a JD fan, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The banana character that I have come to associate with JD was noticeably absent from this bottle, and for me that's a good thing.

Thanks again Gary!