Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

This is a tasting I promised to do months ago after Gary generously gave me a bottle during the Sampler that he thought interesting. I'll have to let him chime in on the specifics if he remembers, as the writing on the neck label has completely faded away, except to note that this particular barrel was aged in rick R-19.

Color: Deep amber in the bottle that lightens to a brilliant orange-sunset in the glass. Legs are pronounced.

Aroma: First pass reveals some alcohol with notes of leather, wood and dried fruit. A second pass, from slightly further away, uncovers a nice cherry tone with hints of cinnamon. Maybe a little vanilla as a backdrop.

Taste: Slight alcohol burn on the tip of the tongue, followed by a nice dose of vanilla, honey and leather. Wood and an almost minty cinnamon flavor are pronounced on the second sip. A little bit of the cherry carries over from the nose.

Finish: A short burn on the back of the throat fades quickly, leaving a subtle, lingering cinnamon aftertaste.

Overall: I'll admit that I have never been much of a JD fan, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The banana character that I have come to associate with JD was noticeably absent from this bottle, and for me that's a good thing.

Thanks again Gary!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

Thank you Jeff, excellent notes.

Your bottle, which is identical to the one before me, is indeed from Rick No. R-19, it was from barrel no. 8-0350 bottled on 2-1-2008.

It is the best JD I've had, the second-best was a 30 year old bottle Mike Veach gave me a taste from.

I have a feeling (but can't prove it) that the absence of banana character in this bottling derives from winter dumping.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-14-2008 at 15:55.

Guru

This is becoming more and more available in most bars I get to, along with the Gentleman Jack.

I am not sure about the Gentlemen Jack, but the SB I find to be clearly high quality whisky. No bananas, but the cherry and vanilla are there for sure.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

If you keep it around too long you will get the banana in the SB as well.

I would bet a wooden nickel that it will be there in 6-9 months

Why do you say that, Emerald?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    If you keep it around too long you will get the banana in the SB as well.

I would bet a wooden nickel that it will be there in 6-9 months
    Funny you should say that. I recently finished a bottle of Silver Select (essentially the same as single barrel) that had been open for maybe 16 months. In that last drink, I got some banana. Not a lot, and not so it spoiled a very good drink, but I was sort of like "there you are!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I'm not even gone from Kentucky a month and Jeff is posting about TN Whiskey like it wasn't a crime punishable by hog-tyin between two bush hogs and let'n his guts spill caddywampus in a holler.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know why the Seelbach took down this sign outside the bar, but I always loved it:

Gentlemen requesting foreign spirits instead of Kentucky Bourbon may be requested to pay cash.

I think that sign was adverting (in a simpler time) to creditworthiness and not palate (or local pride).

I've had two bottles of the R-19 from early in 2008 open to different levels and have noticed no intrusion of banana notes.

Gary

Enthusiast

For the record, we have to chime in - the banana notes are not unpleasant at all to us. Gentleman Jack has them in spades, and we like it. That said, Silver Select is fabulous, and we agree the banana notes are much more understated (IE, we don't taste them either!). We thought maybe it was proof and/or age. Interesting that folks feel the banana eventually comes out with time.
    Dave & Tina
    (Thank you, Jim!)