Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

love reading the reviews

I discovered the site a couple of weeks ago when I was researching Rock Hill Farms...bought a bottle for my boss as a gift...it almost didn't make it to his hands. Kept reading the posts on the BOTW thread and thought I would go ahead and seek a username. The Beam thread was interesting...I hate Beam. EW Black kicks it's butt for a cheap fifth.

I'm not good enough to review bourbon using all those fancy tasting descriptors, but I do know what I like, and that's sippin' a good bourbon. Give me a oak and char and flavor, and a slow, warm burn. I like Pappy, no make that love Pappy, but the best for my money is EW Single Barrel. I also like Knob Creek quite a bit, but think Woodford is overpriced. If you can't drink it cut or neat, I don't bother. I don't collect either...when I buy it, I drink it.

I've been drinkin' bourbon for about 15 years, but I'm still a newbie to a lot of the high-end brands. I always look for Pappy, but when it ain't there I go for EW single or Knob Creek. I'll admit however I'm more of a fall/winter bourbon drinker. Can't wait to read more of your opinions...you guys seem to really know your stuff.

I'm ramblin'...but I love to talk bourbon about as much as fishin'. I live smack dab in the middle of eastern KY where we make more shine than bourbon. It's about a 90 minute drive to what i would consider a good bourbon selection.

Re: love reading the reviews

Welcome to SB Stephen. Bourbon? Fishing? Hmmmmmmmmm? Let's not get started. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's a fun trip. Also, don't be bashful about posting. That's what this place is all about. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Just caught my first snook this summer, Joe. We vacation at Siesta Key Florida, and I've tried for the past two years to get one off the beach. Got two, decent size, on a yozuri crank bait. Very exciting. Lots of rocks close to where we stay, so there are lots of fish.

Guru

Welcome aboard!

Just in case you have a hankering for bourbon in the summer, I suggest you keep a bottle of Virginia Gentleman 90 proof on hand. The discussion toward the end of this thread touches on its drinkability in warm weather. There's a link within that thread to yet another, which discusses it in more detail.

IMO it's a bourbon no one is likely to hate, but few are likely to call their favorite.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Novice

thanks, Dave...I'll give it a try.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the site, QM!

How far from Lexington are you? I was visiting eastern KY in May and a friend introduced me to the Liquor Barn there. It was an almost religious experience. I ended up buying a bottle of Black Maple Hill 21, as they were sold out of Pappy, as a gift for my host, knowing we'd end up sharing it. This was pre-SB for me, so I didn't make tasting notes, but I was impressed mostly with the finish, which was as if someone had dropped one of those red and while hard candy peppermints on the back of my tongue. Remarkable. But not as good as Pappy 20. I have yet to get hold of Pappy 15 or 23. I share your appreciation of EW SB, too.

There are a slew of real experts residing here, and you'll find the membership friendly, knowledgable, and gentlemanly (or ladylike, as the case may be). Welcome again!

Cheers,
    Mark

Novice

Mark

I'm about 90 minutes from the liquor barn in Lex., and I agree it is fantastic. There are three there now, I think. I'll try the Maple Hill sometime...I've seen it there before.

Reviews I have read for Elijah Craig SB have been good...any thoughts about that one?

Stephen

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Mechanic View Post
    Mark

I'm about 90 minutes from the liquor barn in Lex., and I agree it is fantastic. There are three there now, I think. I'll try the Maple Hill sometime...I've seen it there before.

Reviews I have read for Elijah Craig SB have been good...any thoughts about that one?

Stephen
    For unknown reasons the bourbon of which you speak is more often referred to as Elijah Craig 18 year-old, although either description is accurate.

It will test the limits of your appreciation for the wood/char influence that is present in every bourbon, but usually to a lesser extent. That quality varies slightly from bottle to bottle, as does my appreciation of it.

Regardless of whether you come to appreciate it neat I predict you will love it in a Manhattan, in which its bold flavor comes through like that of no other bourbon I've tried. (Take that, vermouth!)

BTW, if you've tried the Elijah Craig 12 year-old, don't expect to find any similarity in the 18 year-old.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Novice

Thanks for the info, Dave.

I've not yet found an appreciation for the Manhattan. For now, it's just a waste of good bourbon, but I'll keep trying. I'm sure I'll become a fan one of these days.

Some may not agree, but I equate EC 12 with Makers Mark, which is to say I don't really appreciate either one very much and mix 'em with cola. Glad to hear that the EC 18 is different.

Administrator in exile

Welcome

So where are you exactly? I'm in Lexington, but frequently travel to Eastern KY to visit the inlaws.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi