Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: The Fake Whiskey Challenge

I was kidding when I said it had to be 100% artificial. The main idea is that all the ingredients should be very easy to obtain and the production process should also be very simple. Yes, of course, this is exactly what was done in the days before the Bottled in Bond and Pure Food and Drug Acts, and also during Prohibition. Prune juice is another classic ingredient I had forgotten. It bears repeating that there is no point to this. It's just a goof.

Guru

The corn based Rain vodka may be a good choice for a base.

Connoisseur

Jono, I was thinking along similar lines. A Texas-produced vodka, Tito's, is 100% and pretty fat on the palate for a vodka. I use this or Sobieski as my house vodka. The latter is 100% rye. Perhaps a base ratio of, say 70/30?

Regards,

Guru

"...Tito's, is 100% and pretty fat on the palate for a vodka. I use this or Sobieski as my house vodka. The latter is 100% rye...."

This sounds like quite a fun experiment....those vodkas certainly could be bases. I can see little dashes of various flavoring being added for some truly awful and hopefully successful trials. Hmm...the idea of using cereal - unsweetened - comes to mind.

Connoisseur

Chuck, several Indian markets near my house sell a variety of extracts: banana, vanilla, almond, of course, but also various lesser-known fruits, some flowers, etc...are these fair game? If not, what about more common items like orange flower water and rose water - I can get these at several, but not all, supermarkets. (Not trying to get too hung up on rules, but I'm a teacher and school starts Monday...rules are where my mind is right now).

Regards,

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

We're feeling our way here so give it a try. If somebody comes up with something good using a more exotic ingredient, maybe we can mess around and find a good substitute at Kroger's.

Guru

This takes me back to chemistry class titration experiments...drop by drop until the ideal solution is achieved....however, the result "may" be drinkable.
    Kind of like "Iron Whiskey" competition....the chairmen says the secret ingredient is "Vodka"...now home tasters....ready, set, titrate!

Irreverent One

Don't forget the bacon!!!!!!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

You guys are going to laugh, but somewhere I read - I think it was in a book or thesis on Canadian whisky production at the end of the 1800's - that barrels of whisky sometimes contained pieces of salt pork. This was because barrels that had held this porcine staple of the 1800's were then quickly turned around for use to hold whisky, too fat (sorry, I meant fast ) for comfort, it appeared - or maybe not, maybe some customers liked it that way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is nothing new under the sow, sorry I meant sun.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-21-2008 at 13:09.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is nothing new under the sow, sorry I meant sun.
    Gary, don't be such a boar.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 08-21-2008 at 13:57.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms