Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Best value bourbons

Well, just found out today that my health insurance premiums will be going up by 33% so I need to trim my liquor budget a bit. What bourbons would you recommend that have some of the qualities of top shelf brands at the middle to bottom shelf prices?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Best value bourbons

Old forester 86 Cheaper than 4YO Beam and a hell of a lot better. AAA, Buy some Barton it gets overlooked because they aren't throwing millions in ads and it sits on or near the bottom shelf, Wild Turkey, I remember when WT Maker's and Dickel were the top shelf , A lot has changed in 30 years. Heaven Hill puts out some decent bourbon in JTS Brown , Echo Spring and JW Dant you may want to see if you can get a 1/2 pint to try they may not be what you are looking for. Old Charter classic 90
    Hope this Helps Elijah Craig 12 easily the best value for the money.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Old Fitzgerald has always been my "budget" choice.

Guru

My three top choices that are under $20 are Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester 100-proof, and Elijah Craig 12-yr old.

Tim

Advanced Taster

Virginia Gentleman 90 proof... It may not be the cheapest, but for some reason, to me it tastes like it should cost a lot more than it does...

**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff the cheapest bourbon on my ABC store's bottom shelf is Ten High at $6.75 per 750ml bottle. It's quite young with a very simple nose and flavor. The best thing I can say for Ten High is that it does not taste bad. It does taste better than Old Crow and it is cheaper. When you compare Ten High with the alternatives at that price point you've got the very cheapest vodkas; gins and 'brown vodkas' (blended whiskies) - Ten High looks far more attractive and it certianly tastes better than those non-bourbon alternatives. Don't forget there's always beer!

Taster

You said that you like Makers's. I tried it and found it to be similar to Evan williams Single Barrel. Why don't you try Evan Williams 7 year old. I can get it in Michigan for just under $9.00 for 750 ml. You could probably beat that in KY. It's pretty thin, but not bad tasting.

Administrator in exile

let's not get carried away, I'm not quite to the point of spending my weekends with a gallon of Thunderbird or something like that Really I'm looking for 750ml's in the 10-15 dollar range to try. My favorite in that range right now is WT 80. I will give the Ten High a try (sounds like a marketing slogan).

Administrator in exile

Last night I went to the Liquor Barn armed with my list of suggestions. I initially picked up a bottle of AAA 10yr. I have read that this has been hard for some people to find, but the shelves are full of it here (I made sure that it was the 10yr and not the 10 star). However I opted for buying an assortment of pints to do a little comparative tasting. I bought the AAA10yr, Evan Williams 7 and Old Forrester 86. I will try to post a tasting report when I get time, but I think the AAA was my initial favorite, EW coming in second with OF a close third. They were all acceptable in my book. The AAA went for about $11 for the 750ml. I didn't remember to check for the others. What are your thought on these three?

Enthusiast

Value bourbon -- Local prices under $20

Spicy Drams
    *Knob Creek 9 yr, 101 proof $18
    Eagle Rare 10 yr, 101 $16
    *Ezra Brooks 7 year, 101 $13
    Old Grand-dad BIB $13
    *Old Grand-dad 114 $19
    Wild Turkey 101 $15
    *Elijah Craig 12 yr 94 proof $15

Smoother Drams
    Old Fitz BIB $13
    *David Nicolson 1843 BIB (really Old Fitz BIB that's 7 years old) $16
    *Old Fitz 1849, 8 years 90 proof $15
    *Old Charter 'The Classic' 12 year 90 proof $16 (all Old Charters = a bargain)
    Wellers Reserve 12 yr 90 proof $17
    Wellers Reserve 107 $16

Rye
    *Wild Turkey Rye 101 $16
    Old Overholt $11 - leaves enough $$$ to buy a case of ginger ale.

* = personal faves