Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Bourbons You'd Like to Try, or Try Again

I'd like to get my hands on any of the older Willett releases, in particular a 4 year that was amazing. There's something about that Willett label that just gets me.
    Duke of Sandwich
    L.A. Whisk(e)y Society
    www.lawhiskeysociety.com

Connoisseur

I want to try something that has been aged for more than 23 years. I often hear that most have too much of a wood taste to them but I don't get that with the PVW23 expressions I've tried, in fact they're among my favorites, so I eagerly look forward to trying something in the 25 - 28 (oldest I've heard of) range that won't cost me $400 plus whatever shipping from somewhere like Japan will run me... Of the upcoming, super aged, releases I think I'll probably just go with the PHC and skip the Hirsch, the only PHC bottle I've had was excellent whereas the only Hirsch I've had wasn't worth the money (+ the whole humidor thing, I mean come on... ). I'm really looking forward to the next PHC release!
    Another thing I want to try is something from before Prohibition (Anything really...). It's really just for novelty sake though, I have no expectations one way or the other on that one. If it was a brand that was still around in some form today it would be fun to compare to the current version and if it was something that no longer exists it would nonetheless be amusing, and possibly interesting, to try.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    I eagerly look forward to trying something in the 25 - 28 (oldest I've heard of) range that won't cost me $400 plus whatever shipping from somewhere like Japan will run me.
    The internet is a glorious thing. You guys interested in these bourbons need to get hooked up with two sites in Japan.

1) Rakuten (an online shopping mall kinda like Amazon). The link to their bourbon section is:
    http://directory.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd/directory/vc/s1tz402913/

2) Yahoo Auction. The link to bourbon auctions is:
    http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084048381-category-leaf.html

Very Olde St. Nick 25 yrs retails for $216
    Very Olde St. Nick 25 yrs retails for $200
    Willet 24 yrs retails for $200.

Shipping to the States would probably cost $30 - 40 a bottle. All you would need to do is find a SB 'er to help you out with the shipping overseas part of the equation.

Connoisseur

Thanks for sharing the links, those prices seem a lot more in line with what I was expecting and would be willing to pay; I'll have a closer look at them with babelfish later on. I figured that the ones I saw for sale, on ebay (always from the same guy for the same price), had to be available elsewhere for a better price but didn't know where to look. Definitely something to look into after I try PHC! Also, good examples, 25 yr Very Olde St. Nick was actually one of the ones I was thinking of when I typed that! :]
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Definitely something to look into after I try PHC!
    Sorry to be a tard, but what is PHC?

Oh yeah, and my 2nd reference to VOSN (at $200) above was supposed to be for the 24 yr old, not the 25 yr old twice in a row.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    what is PHC?
    It's Parker's Heritage Collection, from Heaven Hill, the upcoming one is going to be a 27 year old bottling! :] I've been getting my info about this one from this thread, there's even a link to some notes from John Hansell that sound pretty promising!
    /\../\

Connoisseur

It's Parker's Heritage Collection, from Heaven Hill, the upcoming one is going to be a 27 year old bottling! :] I've been getting my info about this one from this thread, there's even a link to some notes from John Hansell that sound pretty promising!
    Thanks for the link. An interesting read. Good night.

- David

Connoisseur

I'd like to try several things:

BIB Old Crow from ND as discussed upthread
    WT 101 8-yo
    ND OT BIB
    VVOF, of course, any issue, I'm not picky
    Any Willett or LeNell's rye (I have the first Willett, so any of the others)

Things I'd like to try again:

WLW 2006
    Stagg 2006
    Pappy 23
    Louisville Old Charter 12 (I've had good and bad bottles; like to find a good one again)

Ultimately, though, I've tasted many "holy grail" bottles and things I never would've imagined: WT12 gold foil, ND OGD BIB, S-W Old Fitz BIB, WT Tribute, WTKS pewter top, a couple of 20yo bourbons bottled in the mid-70s...heck, even Handy 2007 ranks among the best things I've ever tasted, and I have two full bottles in the queue, so I can't really complain about the things I haven't tasted.

Regards,

Apprentice

Keeping it simple and at the low to mid-shelf price point, I still want to sample some Old Forester Signature 100.
    Bill D.

Smart as an ox, strong as Einstein.

Guru

Post Re: Bourbons You'd Like to Try, or Try Again

There are so many bourbons I cannot obtain in my state, my list could be a mile long.

But, at the top of my conscious list is Wild Turkey 12-year old.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur