Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Irreverent One

Re: Bourbons You'd Like to Try, or Try Again

Out of production:

- Old Ezra 15/101 (square bottle, in a box)
    was it really as woody as I remember?

- Very Very Old Fitzgerald

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    - Benchmark as made by Seagram in the 70's or 80's
    I had Benchmark on my 1988 list of recommended bourbons, but I sure don't remember it tasting like rum, so I'd want to try that.

Current production, but not available around here:

- 4R SB 120th

- William Larue Weller (BTAC)

- Thomas Handy rye (BTAC)

- ER 17 (BTAC)
    a recent release, because I want to see if it's improved since I first tried it some years ago

- VWFRR 13yo

Current production, available locally but just haven't gotten around to buying any:

- PVW 20

- RHF
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

I'm still somewhat of a rookie when it comes to bourbon. I've tried so much, but there is still a lot out there that I have yet to try. I guess my answer would be, anything at the gazebo. But seriously, ER 101, and the BTAC ER and Weller, and Weller Centennial are bourbons I would like to try. Any of the older, out of production bourbons I could try, would be a big +++++. I am curious as to what was, in the world of bourbon. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Scott, what was your 1988 list, and its genesis?

Gary

There is but one bourbon I know of (there may well be many that I simply don't know exist) that I wish to taste, and never have: so far, the Very Very Old Fitzgerald 12yo has escaped me. I've had some best-ever 8yo cousins -- under both Very Old Fitzgerald and W.L. Weller BIB labels -- but have never even seen a 'live' empty of the 12yo.
    Those VOF and Weller BIBS would be among those I would like to taste again -- and I plan to open, with high hopes, a 1950-ish 7yo Weller version in a couple of weeks during a weekend of SB.com sociability.
    Others that will always be a pleasure to see again include gold-foil Wild Turkey 12yo; the original, rye-recipe Pappy 23yo; 2006 William Larue Weller (of which I still have a single bottle); Doug's first Willett rye; Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12yo; a birthyear (1957) OGD BIB; a Four Roses straight rye blend from the '40s. Others too numerous to mention, but probably gone forever.
    And, one I wish y'all had gotten to taste was a mid-'90s, sub-$10 Kentucky Deluxe BIB I recently opened for a VBT round. I've never gone through a 750ml bottle as fast as I did that one. It didn't last 5 days! Which goes to show you never know what gems you may have on your local shelves until/unless you turn the cap or pop the cork.
    Just drink it!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Well, I've been quite fortunate (many thanks to the guys around here) in the things I have gotten to taste, so my want to try list tends towards export bottles:

WT 17yo
    ER 15yo SB
    Van Winkle 1985 (I believe that was the year)
    Dickel 11yo (this seems to predate the BHC)
    VOB 12yo (I've seen a decanter so I know it existed)

To try again:

WT 14yo
    Twisted Spoke 16yo
    Van Blankle
    Saz 18 2000
    ORVW 7yo 107

...there's probably more (I know there are) but I can't think of them right now...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Scott, what was your 1988 list, and its genesis?

Gary
    See my intro post, here.

One thing that was in the 1988 doc, but missing from my intro post, was a "plan to try" list. EW "1783" 10yo was on that. I never got around to it until it earlier this year (and that was the NAS version). So I guess that should have been on my "Would like to try" list, since it has been for the last 20 year (how's that for procrastination?).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

One thing that was in the 1988 doc, but missing from my intro post, was a "plan to try" list. EW "1783" 10yo was on that. I never got around to it until it earlier this year (and that was the NAS version). So I guess that should have been on my "Would like to try" list, since it has been for the last 20 year (how's that for procrastination?).
    Well ya betta do it quick cause dey don't make dat no mo. Few and far between on the shelves today.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

1. WT 12 gold foil. I've only ever had the split label.
    2. ND OGD
    3. Hudson Baby Bourbon (does that count?)
    4. I'd like to get my hands on some more WT 8. As a teenager sometime around '86 I first had WT. I'm not sure it was "8 year" or the transitional "Old No. 8".
    5. Some time I'd like to give Blanton's another try. If I'm at a bar and someone else is buyin'.
    6. Weller 19
    7. PVW 20
    8. Old Ezra 15. about two years ago I ran across a couple bottles but didn't buy them. When I went back they were gone

Connoisseur

WT 12 . . . split label (I cant believe I just past up a bottle of this for dirt cheap).
    WT 8. (Very nice and dirt cheap.)
    Blanton's (Also very nice.)
    PVW 20 (I look forward to opening my bottle.)
    Old Ezra 15 (I often see this around. A free bottle of the 12 was what turned me on to bourbon.)

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    A generous SB.com'r sent me a small sample, which I tried last night. Really nice whiskey! Much better than the NAS version I sampled back in January.
    Scott

- Serge Storms