Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Operation Kegerator

Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Administrator in exile

Re: Operation Kegerator

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?
    You open the top and pour it in

Seriously, I'm not sure how SN kegs work, but most home-brewers are using reconditioned 5-gallon soda kegs. There is an oval lid, with a good sized o-ring, that clamps shut and won't budge when you hit it with some CO2.

I was going to suggest SNPA as a first keg for your keggerator, so nice call. What is your serving pressure?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Waiting for the temperature to come up, serving at 10 psi. First one is foamy and quick, the second pours are just fine. Still want to add some of my pals home brews and not sure that the 5 gallon will work in this. Waiting for your thoughts.

Thanks Jeff.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

You will need other parts to make it work with home brew. Check out http://www.beveragefactory.com/. That is where I got my conversion Kegerator kit for my fridge. They have the parts to allow you to server home brew.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso

I like a lot of beers, but a keg of SNPA is what I'd pick. Do the quarter barrels have the stripes painted on them, too?

Guru

Yes, the quarter does have the stripes. Enjoying this very much. The test will be over the weekend when people start "dropping" by.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Have run into CO2 issues. One tank has been lost and I am unable to find the leak after hooking up the second. They are only costing $8 per tank and it's close by, but my wanting to master this operation is driving me crazy.

Bob Marley.

I'm not familiar with the C02 lines in this particular type of application. But, when I used to bartend, sometimes we had problems with the o-rings on the connector falling out or not seating all the way. Another problem was one of the other bartenders wasn't getting the regulator/line tightened all the way. One trick I learned to clean the connector on the tank, was to open the valve on the tank for just a split second before hooking it up. This will blow out any dirt or debris that might have accumulated. Hope I could be of some help. Good Luck. Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 08-22-2008 at 20:43.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Still working on the leak, but kicked the pony of SNPA and hooked up a Firestone Double Barrel. So far, so good. This beer is getting superior reviews over the SNPA, and I am surprised.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Are you sure you are really out of gas? I have a 5 LB tank of CO2 and it went down to about 1/2 empty on my first keg (Sam Adams Summer). When I tapped my second (Sam Adams Octoberfest) the pressure went back up again. I also thought I had a leak but apparently this is normal. What I've been told is that it will hang out in the 'middle' and after a when it finally reaches the red you have about 1 keg left. I think 1 5 LB tank should last 10 - 20 1/6 kegs.

Also, did you try the soapy water test to find the leak? I did and didn't see any bubbles which is how I know I really didn't have a problem. Just to be sure when I changed kegs I Teflon taped my gas connections.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...