Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Houston

As I sit here watching the weather and counting the hours before Hurricane Ike hits us with 100 mph winds and torrential rains, I think I'll have a sip or two of GTS.

I'm new to Bourbon and have only tasted a few. I am trying to learn as much as I can and plan to participate when I don't sound like a "newbie". I think StraightBourbon is a great place to be!

I really enjoy reading the posts and the camaraderie between posters is great.

C'ya
    I love GTS and am experimenting with other fine Bourbons

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Hello from Houston

Welcome. Best of luck with Ike. Having just gotten back from evacuating from Gustav I can understand your desire for a drink.

Feel free to post, ask questions and post your thoughts on bourbon. The membership here tends to be very helpful, often just giving you the info you desire, other times helping you to find the info through the search engine.

Enjoy.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Welcome. If you have had a few bourbons, but already like George Stagg, you will like it here.

I'm from Houston, Humble, as well. There are half dozen or so of fellow board members from Houston area. We do occasionally get together for some bourbon tastings. None planned right now, but I'll try to remeber and let you know about next one.

Disciple

Glad you are aboard!

Hope you enjoy the site. Where are you in Houston? I lived on the northwest side for a number of years.

What other products do you enjoy?

Cheers!

Jeff Mo.

Welcome George, Don't worry about posting because you're a newbie. Jump right in, and let er' rip. I just joined in March, and only a couple of guys made fun of me. (barturtle & mozilla) Not really. They, along with pretty much everyone here, made me feel comfortable right from the start. I can't believe how much I've learned, and how much fun I've had in just a few short months. I've had a ball. If your experience here is only half as good as mine's been, you'll have it made. As I've said to other new members, (not in any particular order of importance), good times, good people, & good bourbon. You'll meet some good folks, learn a lot about bourbon, and have some fun along the way. So, buckle up and enjoy the ride. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by georgetstagg View Post
    As I sit here watching the weather and counting the hours before Hurricane Ike hits us with 100 mph winds and torrential rains, I think I'll have a sip or two of GTS.

I'm new to Bourbon and have only tasted a few. I am trying to learn as much as I can and plan to participate when I don't sound like a "newbie". I think StraightBourbon is a great place to be!

I really enjoy reading the posts and the camaraderie between posters is great.

C'ya
    Welcome Mr. Stagg! From the looks of the tropical storm report on AccuWeather, you may have stronger winds than you expect after Ike takes a few sips of his own -- energy from that warm water in the Gulf, that is.

I see from your profile that you enjoy the distillates with and without the letter "e". Is that a nod to the odd US brand, or do you drink scotch, as well? If so, then you'll enjoy the Foreign Whiskey forum.

I don't recall the last time a new member mentioned GTS and no other. Some would say you're starting at the top with no place to go but down. In any case I don't know of anyone who drinks GTS all the time.

Perhaps you'll find Wild Turkey Rare Breed to your liking. It's higher in proof than most, though no match for GTS, and has flavor to match. In a different direction Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o is also worth a try. Some here will undoubtedly suggest Booker's, whose proof is in the same range as GTS, but I won't be one of them.

Regardless of what you're drinking, keep an eye on that storm.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

Welcome! And batten down the hatches!
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Novice

Thanks guys for the kind words. Mozilla, I live in SW Houston out in Pecan Grove near Richmond and SugarLand. Just got back from a pre-Hurricane party and had my GTS.

Bluesbassdad, I am exploring the world of Scotch also, and am enjoying some different single malts. I lucked in to finding GTS. I read about it last Fall and checked with Spec's liquors in Houston and they let me order a few cases, so I stashed them away and have been nursing a bottle. I also tasted some GTS at Dickie Brennans Bourbon House in New Orleans last December. I bought a bottle of WT American Spirit and haven't tried it yet. I also picked up a bottle of A.H. Hirsch 16 Y/O and PVW 15 Y/O and have yet to try them. So, I'm having fun...

Thanks wadewood - I look forward to getting together with others in the area.

Take care guys and thanks again for responding...
    I love GTS and am experimenting with other fine Bourbons

Virtuoso

Welcome to you, georgetstagg, from another Houstonian. There's some great bourbon down here in Texas! I look forward to our next gtg.