Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Irreverent One

Hey y'all from Oregon

Posted several times already but still hadn't gotten around to intro. Better late than never.

I was born in Wisconsin, raised in north Florida, moved to Oregon a little over a year ago.

Introduction to bourbon was on a camping trip, circa 1965 (I would have been about 12). Jim Beam, IIRC. I approached it with caution, drank just enough to get a mild buzz. No hangover.

When I was 19 Florida lowered the drinking age to 18. I tried a lot of different whiskies. Realized I didn't care for Scotch.

Tried some of those just-released "light whiskies". Anyone remeber those? If not, I'm not surprised - they weren't memorable.

By college graduation (1975) I was a loyal WT 101 drinker. I occasionally sampled other brands, but WT was pretty much it for a while.

By 1979 my career had advanced to where I had disposable income, and I started casting a wider net. Got into wine in a big way (still am), plus distilled spirits other than bourbon, and a wider variety of bourbon. WT 8/101 remained my "go to" (around 1983 I even bought one of those Baccarat WT decanters - Austin Nichols commissioned 1,000 of 'em).

By the mid eighties I was regarded as an expert on such things amongst my friends and acquaintances, and in 1988 completed a non-published work, "Distilled Spirits - A Highly Biased History" which I handed to anyone coming to me for advice.

I hadn't seen it in years, but came across a hardcopy when packing for Oregon. Made for interesting reading. Things have certainly changed in 20 years. Maybe I'll update it.

It had a "Recommendations" section at the end. Here is the section for Bourbon:

Corn/Rye
    Highly Recommended
    Wild Turkey 12yo 101
    Wild Turkey 8yo 101
    Eagle Rare 10yo 101
    Old Grand Dad 114

Recommended
    Ancient Ancient Age 10yo
    Beams Black Label 101mo 90
    Benchmark 90
    Blanton 8yo 93
    Evan Williams 7yo 90
    Ezra Brooks 7yo 90
    I. W. Harper 86
    Old Charter 7yo 86
    Old Grand Dad 86
    Old Forester 86
    Old Forester Bond 100
    Old Taylor 6yo 86
    Walker's Deluxe 8yo 86

Not Recommended
    Beam 52mo 80
    Beam's "Choice"
    Beam White Label
    Evan Williams 80
    Heaven Hill 90
    Old Crow
    Old Ezra 15yo 101 comment: "Proof you can age a bourbon too long"

Corn/Wheat Bourbon
    Highly Recommended
    Maker's Mark
    Old Fitzgerald "1849" 8yo 90
    Weller 7yo 107

Recommended
    Old Fitzgerald 7yo 86
    Old Fitzgerald Bond
    Weller Reserve 7yo 90

Not Recommended
    Rebel Yell

Tennessee Whiskey
    Highly Recommended
    Dickel 6yo 90

Recommended
    Dickel 4yo 80

Not Recommended
    Jack Daniels

Rye Whiskey
    Highly Recommended
    Wild Turkey

Recommended
    Old Overholt

Not Recommended
    Jim Beam

Regarding the 12yo WT, a few months ago I bumped into the bourbonenthusiast.com web site, they showed the early 90s gold foil version as the first release. I knew that wasn't right, and going back and looking at my 1988 document confirms that.

I'm also pretty sure those late 1980s WT 12yo bottlings had a label just like the 8yo (except with a "12" instead of an "8", of course). They were seasonally released, just before Christmas.

I had bought a case of it and reserved these as my "Special Occasion" Bourbon.

I guess it was around 1992 that WT pulled the bit with the "Old Number 8 Brand" on the 101. This was deeply offensive to me, not so much because they'd gone NAS but because they tried to obfuscate it with the ON8B bit. I've never completely forgiven them for that, and since have only bought WT when they introduce something new (trying to stay informed...). The exception was the Rye, because for so long all that was available was JB, OO and the WT, and the WT was definitely the best of the three.

Knob Creek became my "go to" choice, with Weller 7/107 when I felt like a wheater.

Bourbons tried since 1988 include (roughly in chronological order):

Knob Creek
    Bakers
    Bookers
    Hirsch 16 BW
    Weller Centennial
    Weller 12yo
    WT Kentucky Spirit
    WT Rare Breed
    WT RR 10/101
    ER 17yo
    EC 12
    Saz 18 Rye
    BT
    PVW 15
    BMH 18yo Rye
    GTS (2007)
    VW 12yo Lot B

The PVW was in December, the last two earlier this week.

The Hirsch 16 BW showed up at my favorite liquor store in late 1994, along with some 20yo. I bought one of the 16, tried it, went back and bought three more plus one of the 20. These supplemented the WT 12s as my "Special Occasion" stuff. However by 2003 all the WT and three of the Hirsch were gone. The BTACs were out by then, and I went through several bottles of the ER 17, but was never all that wild about it. Opened the last bottle of Hirsch 16 last fall when we closed on our house purchase here in Corvallis OR. The Hirsch 20 remains unopened.

I do believe that the PVW 15 and GTS will both serve nicely as "SO" choices.

I notice the SB.com software tags me as a "novice". I can only LOL.

BTW, the bike in the Avatar pic is a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom. The image is borrowed from the Yamaha web site. Mine has a windshied (for the bugs), saddlebags (for my stuff) and a wider passenger seat plus sissy bar/back rest (for my wife). I've been riding since I was 15, progressing from a Honda 65 to a Honda 175 to a Suzuki 500 to a Suzuki 550 to a Harley 883 to a Harley 1200 to the Yamaha.

Anyway, for those of y'all still with me here, I'm glad to be on board. Great discussions, and lots of useful information.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Re: Hey y'all from Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I notice the SB.com software tags me as a "novice". I can only LOL.
    Scott, the titles as I'm sure you've surmised are purely post count driven other than those special titles such as "Bourbonian of the Year" and "The Boss", obviously. You are no novice to bourbon that is for sure. Again, welcome we're glad to have you around as I mentioned I am a native Oregonian who's temporarily lost his way. I still have family in Lebanon and Sweet Home among other places... I'll be back up there someday soon.

BTW, from what I have tried your recomendations would have served a lot of people well. There is still some 8 year Turkey to be found down here in Cali among many other dusty bottles as well as in other locales...

I've found a couple of old ER10 101 bottles from the late 70s and it is truly great stuff.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 03-12-2008 at 17:56. Reason: adding more info
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Glad you are on board, Scott.

A few of us here do indeed have Oregon connections. I was born there and spent weekends every summer of my youth in and around Tillamook. On weekends we always played on the beach at Oceanside. I would learn much later of my good fortune to have spent time in one of the most beautiful places on planet earth.

Enjoy your stay here. We look forward to your contributions.
    Last edited by Barrel_Proof; 03-12-2008 at 18:35.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

That's an interesting and informative bio. Welcome!

Two things regarding the "Novice" designation. Here it's based solely on the number of posts, nothing more. I'm a little embarrassed by my designation; I didn't know Jack (from Jim) before I arrived here a few years ago.

The other point is that everything is context specific. I remember my amusement when Formula 1 Champion Jimmy Clark entered the Indy 500 for the first time in 1963. He was tagged as a Novice, just like some guy whose previous race was on a quarter-mile track in Springfield, IL.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Scott, your early recommendations regarding bourbon speak both to your own fine palate, but also to those of many contributing members here, who led me to many of the same bottlings, though I joined the bourbon game after many no longer were in production.
    Like Dave, I am startled by my own 'Guru' status, as much of what I know about American whiskey and bourbon, in particular, was learned right here, from these members.
    Welcome, and please contribute as often as you can.
    Tim

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Bourbons tried since 1988 include (roughly in chronological order):

Knob Creek
    Bakers
    Bookers
    Hirsch 16 BW
    Weller Centennial
    Weller 12yo
    WT Kentucky Spirit
    WT Rare Breed
    WT RR 10/101
    ER 17yo
    EC 12
    Saz 18 Rye
    BT
    PVW 15
    BMH 18yo Rye
    GTS (2007)
    VW 12yo Lot B

The PVW was in December, the last two earlier this week.
    Also, somewhere along the way, the ER 10/90 SB.

And about a month-and-a-half ago, the NAS EW "1783". I tried this because Paul Pacult had given it a five-star rating, and at $16 I figured it was worth a try. Didn't impress me; I give it a B+.

In all fairness to Pacult, he reviewed it a couple of years ago when it was still a 10yo whiskey.

Also, last night tried the Ritt BIB Rye. See my post in the Rye section.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I am a native Oregonian who's temporarily lost his way. I still have family in Lebanon and Sweet Home among other places... I'll be back up there someday soon.
    Well, when you do, drop me a line and swing on by. We'll pour some of the Good Stuff.
    Scott

- Serge Storms

Virtuoso

Quite an impressive "Bourbon Life" you've had. You will certainly be an asset to this site. Welcome and I look forward to learning from your experience.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Good folks. Man they make some good, real good Pinot Noir out your way. IMHO the equal of most of the overpriced Burgandies at a much more resonable cost.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Welcome! Glad to have you here. Good folks. Man they make some good, real good Pinot Noir out your way. IMHO the equal of most of the overpriced Burgandies at a much more resonable cost.
    Yes, they do. It's one of the many positive aspects of the move. I've already laid in a good supply of 2005 vintage, a great year. 2006 was very warm, and the wines are intense and alcoholic. I recently tried the St. Innocent "Villages" 2006 (sold only in Oregon); it smelled more like Syrah than PN, and was a bit hot, being 14% ABV.

2007, on the other hand, was very cool, with early rains in the fall (La Nina year), and I have my doubts about the wines from that year (none released yet). The vinters are upbeat about it, but you have to expect that...
    Scott

- Serge Storms