Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Your favorite beer

As I sit here with my glass of Old Forester 86, I somehow can't get my mind off of beer I am wanting to know what the bourbon experts out there are drinking when they aren't drinking bourbon? My favorites include: Guiness Draught, Beck's dark, Dixie's Blackened Voodoo, Samuel Adam's Boston Lager, Bass Ale, Amber Bock and an assortment of other dark beers.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Your favorite beer

OK Jeff! I like Pilsner Urquel the best, but it's nearly impossible to find. Beck's blonde, & Saint Pauli Girl. For American beer I like good ol' Old Milwaukee and plain old regular Coors. I like a beer that drinks easy. Porters; Stouts and heavy ales aren't my style.

Enthusiast

Guiness Draught Stout in the fridge. I'm on a diet and Guiness draught is relatively low-carb, thanks to it's nitro-can...more carbs than Miller Lite, but worth every one of 'em.

For the past year or 2 I've limited my beer drinkin'...in that spirit I really like BIG cold 20 oz bottles of Pilsner Urquell or Fishers La Belle, or an ice cold oil-can of Fosters Bitter. "Hey, I only had ONE beer". One great big giant beer.

Guru

Life is ever full of wonder.

I would have bet just about anything that no self-respecting bourbon drinker would go for the lighter beers, especially not Colorado Kool-Aid. I'm just glad I didn't have the opportunity to bet. I might be without a house and a dog by now.

Personally, I don't stick with any one beer very long at one stretch, but there are a few that I keep coming back to, Bass ale, Guinness (draft only), Anderson Valley Boont Amber, Eye of the Hawk ale and Black Hawk stout (Mendicino Brewing Co.), and Hazelnut Brown Nectar (Rogue Ales).

If someone else is buying, I like 'em all. Well, almost all.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Taster

I vary a bit, but I tend to like English/Irish/Scots Ales and Stouts. Some favorites include Bass, Guinness, Hobgoblin, Bellhaven Wee Heavy, Old Speckled Hen, Newcastle, and Tanner's Jack. Currently, as I'm on a diet, I'm mostly drinking Sam Adams Light, as it's the only light beer I've found that tastes somewhat like a real beer.

Taster

I also like Sam Adamís Boston Lager, Jeff. I used to be able to get Adamís Scotch Ale, which was all I bought when it was on the shelf. Adamís Cream Stout is wonderful. It is one of the few stouts I'll drink. I find most, particularly Guiness, to be just too flat which is, I know, how they're supposed to be. Adamís Cream Stout almost reminds me more of a Porter, which I really like. Sierra Nevada Porter is one of the best. Chicago Honkers Ale is good. I had a Dixie something or other at a bar several years ago and liked it. I also like a lot of the Red Hook ales. God, I used to be able to get Red Hook Double Black Stout, which was made with Starbucks coffee. MMMMMM good. That was another stout that I liked.

I find most American beers simply unpalatable. After you've experienced good micro brews, it's impossible to go back. If I must, it's usually good old BUD!

The Boss

I'm real fond of Heineken as my "daily drinker". I've got 2 cases of it out in the garage refrigerator. Every time it goes on sale I buy some. The problem is that I don't drink it anywhere near as fast as I buy it ... it's just too hard for me to pass up a cheap 12 pack of that stuff. What the hell, I suppose I could have much more serious issues

Overall, my tastes are much like Linn's in this regard. Pilsner Urquell, Heineken, St. Pauli Girl, etc.

For an IPA, I usually choose Mendocino Brewing Co's Blue Heron. Yumm!

Guru

My very top favorite is (usually) Bass Ale. I also enjoy Sam Adams, Pilsner Urqell, and Dos Equis. Hell, I even enjoy Coors and Budweiser.

My favorite Ben Franklin quote: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Tim

Enthusiast

I really enjoy Blue Heron Pale Ale, wish they sold it out here.

Disciple

Top 10 Beers:

1) Cadillac Mt. Stout (Bar Harbor Brewing, Bar Harbor ME)
    2)Harpoon ESB (Boston, MA)
    3) Honker's Ale (Goose Island Brewing, Chicago ILL)
    4) Otter Creek Octoberfest (Middlebury, VT)
    5)Oatmeal Stout (Mill City Brewing, Lowell MA)
    6)Guinness Draught (On Tap Only, the canned stuff is BAD!)
    7)Nut Brown Ale (Columbus Brewing Co., Coulumbus, Ohio)
    8)The Eliot Ness Lager (Great Lakes Brewing, Cleveland, OH)
    9)Old GollyWobbler Ale (Sea Dog Brewing, Bangor ME)
    10)Old Brown Dog Ale (Smuttynose Brewing, Portsmouth NH)

I am a bit of a beer buff along with liking bourbon

TomC