Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Your favorite beer

Do they sell that nationally jim?? the only IPA I have tried is Harpoon IPA and I want something to compare it too. . .

TomC

Disciple

Dave Says : "especially not Colorado Kool-Aid"

Shit man i about fell out of my chair laughing!! thats the funnies way I have ever heard anyone refer too that stuff!

TOMC

PS I am so jealous, I have been wanting to sample the Rogue Ales line for awhile now but they don't sell them this far east.

Administrator in exile

Second that on the Guiness. Its like it isn't even the same beer. I do prefer the bottled stout to the canned draught though.

The Boss

Looks like they sell it in Ohio Tom. Have a look here: http://www.mendobrew.com/cgi-bin/men...r.cgi?state=OH

Guru

At first glance it appears that you and I each show a strong regional bias in our lists of favorite beers. All of my US-produced choices are made on the west coast; all of yours are east of the Mississippi River. These facts caused me to go limping down another trail of nostalgia.

I'm guessing that the real reason for our differences is that specialty beers just don't have the national distribution that would allow Old GollyWobbler Ale from Maine and Eye of the Hawk Ale from Mendicino, CA (Why is it that I love all drinks with a bird on the label? Gobble, gobble!) to compete on the same shelf in, say, Topeka KS.

Back in the day, before widespread consolidation within the industry, regional beers were the rule. As late as 1973, while on a field assignment at the Chrysler Tank Plant in Detroit, I drank beer with the locals, and I drank what they drank mainly due to social pressure. No one said, "Let's go have a beer"; it was always "Let's go have a schooner of Stroh's". After only a few weeks on site I actually developed a taste for the stuff. I later realized that it was draft beer that I had fallen in love with, not the Stroh's brand; I had always thought of draft beer as cheap swill, to be ordered two pitchers per person and chugged as quickly as possible. (In Kansas, where I first drank lots of beer, that was largely true; it was all of the 3.2% variety.)

Further back, as a 17 year-old, hick-from-the-sticks freshman at MIT, I discovered that I didn't really like the taste of beer... except for one brand, Genesee. Later in life I tried it again and found it almost flavorless. Did it change, or did I? (In case you're wondering, I was way overmatched at MIT. I left after one semester -- at their request. )

As a youngster, growing up on the prairie of southern Illinois, I loved all of the beer commercials on our 17 inch, black and white TV. A sample of catch phrases and tag lines follows:

1. "Hey Mabel! Black Label!"
    2. "From the land of sky blue waters (waters...), from the land of pines and lofty balsams comes the beer refreshing. Hamm's, the beer refreshing" -- accompanied by cartoon beavers that beat out the rhythm with their tails on a hollow log.
    3. "I'm from Milwaukee, and I ought to know..."
    4. "Mr. Magoo for Stag brew"
    5. "Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous"
    6. "Blatz, the beer that made Milwaukee change its mind"
    7. Falstaff -- I can't remember any of their adverstising, just that I was surprised to learn later in life that Falstaff was a famous character in opera
    8. Griesedieck Brothers, no TV ads that I recall, but famous St. Louis Cardinal announcer Harry Carey personally endorsed it during the broadcasts of Cardinal games. My grandfather, a teetotaler in his later years, loved the Cardinals but would turn down the radio when Harry started singing the praises of Griesedieck Brothers beer.
    9. "What do you say? Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
    10. Wiedemann -- I can still picture the close-up shot of the beer cascading into the glass, the bubbles erupting, the foam overflowing -- made me want to dive in to get cool on a typical midwestern 90/90 (that's degrees and % humidity) August day.
    11. "Miller's High Life, the champagne of bottled beers"
    12. Budweiser -- Yes, it was still a regional brand when I was a kid. My favorite commercial, which may have come much later, was a low shot of the famous Clydesdale horses pulling an old-fashioned beer wagon, while a brass band played what sounded like a continous fanfare.

I find it ironic that the regional breweries of days past served mainly the common working man; whereas the modern version sells mainly to upscale yuppies (no offense intended, anyone ), and it's the nationals that sell the stuff that goes for ten bucks a case.

Ah, nostalgia... Even it isn't what it used to be.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

One advantage, maybe the only one, of being old is that I get to spring old lines on young'uns and get a laugh.

IIRC, I actually stole that expression about 25 years ago, perhaps from a country song (Charlie Daniels, or Hank Jr., ... someone like that).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Disciple

heh! i guess I gotta get myself to a bigger city then!!

TomC

Disciple

Yeah that pretty much covers it, I grew up in Massachusetts and when I vaccation now its mostly back east so thats the only time I really have a lot of money for "good" beer, so the brews tend to be from the east. (that said anchor porter, sierra nevada pale ale & flying dog tire biter ale are all good beers I have had from mountain or pacific time zones). I dont keep beer at home that much anymore because
    1) the local stores have crappy variety that is usually stale
    2) I think bourbon is a better bang for the buck, and thats whyI post to this forum instead of a beerlover's site
    3) even if that whiskey has been on the shelf for 11 YEARS, It will still taste how it should.

I agree that it is a shame that most of the locals cant afford the microbrewed beer in their area anymore (including me), I must say that the Mill City Brewing in my hometown of Lowell, Ma is an admirable exception, selling their 20oz on site brewed drafts for $1.50 last time i was there, cheaper than any other stuff they sold!!

Gotta love folks who cater to a working class crowd!!

Tom (BeerBoy & Bourbon Lover) C

The Boss

On a sort of tangential note, when I first started drinking beer in the mid 70's, Coors was $1.29 a six pack, and Heineken was $5. I remember splurging for a case of Heineken when I was 17. Damn thing cost $16.99 and that was a quite a bit of money then. Now Coors and heineken are about the same price, and on sale, Heineken is ~$19 per case. So at least in this case, that snazzy imported stuff has actually gone down in price over the years.

BTW, I happen to like Coors. Some of my fondest memory losses were made with it. The real problem with the stuff is that it goes down like water. You and a friend get hold of a 12 pack, and an hour later you're talking out the sides of your faces, and out of beer!

Disciple

I should say that I agree that there is nothing bad about coors, in the same way Dave says there is nothing bad about Makers Mark, there is just nothing exceptional about it either. I am living in a part of ohio where your beer choices are Bud Miller Coors and their light counterpart when you go to a bar, (you cant even find Sam Adams some places) and when I go out it is usually Coors Original for me ( I am not a big fan of its "Silver Bullet" counterpart).

TomC