Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Guru

Re: Your favorite beer

This is not my 'favorite' as the thread implies but it's a good thread for the discussion of various brews I guess. This past weekend I picked up two 6-packs of Samuel Adams; Summer Ale and Cherry Wheat.

The Summer Ale as I remember it said it had lemon zest and some 'grains of paradise' in it. I was very disappointed in this one. Not only did I not get any fruitiness in it (which I thought may be underlying), I got no lemon background notes either. It was a very plain, nothing special brew. Maybe it was just me, but I found nothing special going on in it.

Now the Cherry Wheat... That was a beer I really liked! I noticed I really have a love for wheat brews, let's say that right now. Oh, and the Summer Ale was a wheat recipe beer, but I still did not like it. Anyways, this Cherry Wheat was amazing. The aroma of the cherries mixed with the 'beer aroma' was great. Both in the nose and the taste, the cherries were not too overpowering. Everything was blended just right, and I will definitely be buying another sixer of this!

Enthusiast

Re: Your favorite beer

Any export strength lager - Stella, Kronenburg, Becks, Heineken export.

Guiness, Murphy's, Beamish

and ...

Draught Budweiser on a hot Summers day

To be honest the quality of beer in th UK is so dependent on the pub you get it from that I have different favourites in different places.

Guru

Something different

I had to share this picture with you guys since Bob was nice enough to bring it over this 4th of July weekend to open; A bottle of Samuel Adams Triple Bock from 1994 .

I really had no idea what to expect out of this but here's a quick description of what it was like. It poured a very thick and very dark color, dark dark brown almost black. Also, there was no foamy head whatsoever. In the nose I got a little bit of oak and maple syrup. In the mouth, for me at least, the maple syrup really came through with maybe a bit of molasses. I also got a little coffee taste in there or something that resembles burnt coffee. It's like the burnt taste was fighting with the sweetness from the maple syrup. Quite a unique product but one I wouldn’t even classify as beer. Something nice to try but definitely drink it in a snifter and only pour the smallest amount... You can't drink all of it at once, trust me.

Thanks Bob for bringing this and all the other beers you did. It was a great time, one I hope we can do again soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Something different

Tonight, I had a new (to me) beer that was very good: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I bought a case at Sam's Club, had the first one while char-broiling a couple of excellent rib eyes, and a second one while eating my steak.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished a 6-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager, really liking it. I like the SNPA quite a bit better.

Tim

Enthusiast

Tim,

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my "go to" beers that is always a great choice. I love wheat beers during the summer, more robust beers in the colder months, but SNPA is good at any time, any season. It is a BIG step up from SA Lager.

Why did you grab a case of it if you've never had it before? Do you have to buy beer by the case in your area?

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Mark,
    The Triple Bock struck me as Sherry tasting. It has about the same alcohol content and sweetness. Definitely doesn't fit into the beer category.
    Ed

Guru

No, I don't have to buy by the case. I had seen their delivery trucks and heard that it is very good, but I had looked in several stores and been unable to find it. Even in stores that had wide selections (such as one that had three different types of Yeungling). So, when I saw the case of SNPA at Sam's and it was less than $1 per bottle, I took the chance.

Hell, if I've spent the money, I could probably even drink up a case of Miller's.

Tim

Guru

PA has the dumbest law that Bob informed me of (I never even took notice to it before recently)... There you have to buy beer by the case; they don't sell single 12 ouncers, 24 ouncers, 40oz's etc. Not even a damn 6 pack! How lame...

Advanced Taster

Actually, you can buy "carry-out" six-packs of beer in PA, but only at bars and restaurants...at inflated prices. Cases and kegs are sold only at beer distributors. But, you're right--no 12-packs, no singles. We do have some strange and outdated laws governing the sale of alcohol here.

SpeedyJohn

Enthusiast

Ed,

I thought of the Triple Bock more as a Port than anything else. As you say, its definitely not a true beer.

Bob