Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Re: Blended Scotch Whisky article

There is a blended scotch whisky that will hit the market. This product is called The Last Drop. It was distilled in 1960 and matured for 12 years where it was blended. Then was placed in sherry cask for another 36 years. So its at least 48 years old. There will be a limited amount. The cost? A staggering 1000 pounds per bottle !!!

http://lastdropdistillers.com/home.php

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
    There is a blended scotch whisky that will hit the market. This product is called The Last Drop. It was distilled in 1960 and matured for 12 years where it was blended. Then was placed in sherry cask for another 36 years. So its at least 48 years old. There will be a limited amount. The cost? A staggering 1000 pounds per bottle !!!

http://lastdropdistillers.com/home.php
    Staggering? Yes, from the perspective of today's buyer, but not an especially attractive investment back in 1960.

Assuming the price of the distillate in 1960 was five pounds, then a price of 1000 pounds in 2008 works out to an annual growth of 11.67%. A portion of that would be offset by inflation and cost of storage.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

While I enjoy scotch now and again, I'm not a malt maniac and I don't have any experience with extra-aged scotches, those aged past 18 years. Does 18+ even qualify as extra-aged in the scotch world? I can't imagine why anyone would spend the astronomical sums on a bottle of whisky that scotch collectors do. Can anything aged that long in sherry butts taste like anything other than than wood and sherry.... and more sherry?

Connoisseur

Much cheaper but only 40 years old is this Dew of Ben Nevis
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Mind you this is just my opinion but I've been fan of scotch for over 30 years and have some experience having reviewed over 125 so far and have well over 200 in my collection.

18 is the beginning of extra aged scotch. For years 6 and even 8 yo was the norm for most. Older ones were available of course but the average wasn't as old as what is the current norm. I probably have 40+ bottles from 25 yo up to 50 yo and some do not hold up as well as others. A prime example that is fairly easily available are the Macallan 25 and 30 sherry cask versions. To myself and a majority of other collecters/reviewers the 25 is superior to the 30 for the reasons you describe. However, there are exceptions to that even in the Macallan line. I've had 34 and 36 yo limited editions that were far and away better than the standard 30 or 25.

In the overall scheme of things, sherry casked scotch is a small portion of total output with most being stored in ex-bourbon casks that seem to handle aging better IMO.

I do agree that the costs are getting out of hand but that is due to increased demand out of the far east as far as I can tell. Still, I don't like dropping $800 to fill in a gap in the collection.

AVB

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    While I enjoy scotch now and again, I'm not a malt maniac and I don't have any experience with extra-aged scotches, those aged past 18 years. Does 18+ even qualify as extra-aged in the scotch world? I can't imagine why anyone would spend the astronomical sums on a bottle of whisky that scotch collectors do. Can anything aged that long in sherry butts taste like anything other than than wood and sherry.... and more sherry?
    Illuminati in training

I can buy 1.75L of Famous Grouse (standard) in my market for $7 more than its 750ml bottle (@ c. $23, and tax). That's good enough for me. I'll worry about better stuff when I'm unhappy with what I'm buyin'.

Connoisseur

The general idea of the Top Shelf feature is to highlight the ultra premium category of spirits as it is a mag for higher living. Dont kill the messenger though, I just get to taste the stuff and write about it.

Connoisseur

Have any of you tried "Something Special"? I'm a malt lover, but drink occasional blends, and this is a standby when I can find it. It's hard to find in the USA but worth the effort. It's inexpensive and I personally think it stacks up with Chivas and Johnny black. Betty Jo said there's a warehouse full of it at HH, I don't know why it's so hard to find.

Connoisseur

I've had it but I don't agree it is the equal of JWB. Pleasent enough if you get the 12 yo though. It is really hard to find as you said.
    Illuminati in training