Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Bourbon Availability UK

I have two main reasons to start this thread, firstly after flicking through the down under availability thread, and secondly, after my almost fruitless search for a new bourbon earlier today.

Living in the UK, off licences (liqour stores) are something of a dying breed. The ones which do tend to exist are either horribly expensive "wine merchants" or student targeted dives offering crates of lager and fire waterish vodka at low low prices. Supermarkets are not much better, catering to public demand (resonably) by offering a large selection of beers and wines along with a mind boggling amount of vodka, gin and scotch. Sadly, bourbon over here gets one of the shortest straws (I have a wider choice of dark rum than I do bourbon) leading some places to only sell 2 or 3 different bottles at most.

Obviously I understand that the UK has nowere near the same market the US has for bourbon and as such will be quite limited, but dark rum? Seriously there can't be that many people buying it.

So if any UK user (I think there are a fair few of us) finds a decent bottle in a shp could they post it up in this thread (also includes supermarkets who do occasionally have a run of good stuff, asda were selling BT a year or so ago if I recall).

I'll go first, this is the finding from my travels today -

Tesco - Beam White, Own Brand

Sainsburys - Own Brand

Asda - Beam White, Woodford, Own Brand

Waitrose - Beam White, Makers

Threshers - Beam White, Bulleit

Oddbins - Makers, EC 12 YO
    "Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Bourbon Availability UK

In the UK there are at least two good mail order shops. The Whisky Exchange and The Whisky Shop. Both have actual retail locations, but unfortunately not in Sheffield. The Whisky Shop in York would be the closest location of the two merchants.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    In the UK there are at least two good mail order shops. The Whisky Exchange and The Whisky Shop. Both have actual retail locations, but unfortunately not in Sheffield. The Whisky Shop in York would be the closest location of the two merchants.
    Thanks, unfortunately using mail order to buy one bottle at a time (which is all I can realistically afford) means that the postage makes a 20ish bottle into a near 30 bottle. Likewise, getting the train to York is a bit too far to travel just to pick up a bottle. Having said that, I've been there once or twice before and next time I'm up I'll have a look.
    "Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." - Winston Churchill

Disciple

What do you mean by "own brand"?? are there supermarket versions of bourbon across the pond?

Guru

There is a great bar in London called the Salt bar. Lots of US bourbons (all of the BTAC) that is worth the trip if you have time to get there.

Enthusiast

Although you'd have to order online with these guys as well the upside is they are in the UK and they do have an outstanding selection of bourbons here:
    the drink shop