Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Very Special Old Fitgerald - worth it?

Hey all, I followed some threads about this brand, but hoped you guys might be able to shed some more light.

I'm on a bit of a mission to try as many bourbons as possible and am almost through all available in Maine. As someone who is not much of a fan of the wheaters (I don't really like MM that much, etc.), I was wondering if VSOF is worth the $33 purchase. After much searching I finally found a bottle, but then upon seeing the price, I copped out.

I do tend to really like the extra aged bottlings (EC12 is one of my all-time favs) and I like WLW SR 7yr (which is easy to like at $13 a bottle) and I really like Dickel No.12 for a wheat based TN Whiskey.

I guess my question is: is there something about this bottle that will grab my attention and/or elevate my opinion of wheaters in general? Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Guru

Re: Very Special Old Fitzgerald - worth it?

I've paid that and a little more for the Bourbon Heritage Collection version of the VSOF. I'd repeat that process if I had another opportunity.

Will

Enthusiast

Re: Very Special Old Fitgerald - worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    and I really like Dickel No.12 for a wheat based TN Whiskey.
    'Tain't no such thing. Both TN distilleries (Daniel and Dickel) use the standard corn/rye/barley mashbill.

UD did sell wheated KY bourbon under the "Cascade RX" label (Dickel was once sold as Cascade), but that was to get rid of surplus stocks they'd been stuck with after overproducing for Rebel Yell, a brand that did not have the growth potential the marketeers were predicting. This was a good decade ago; I doubt there is anything left on the market.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    'Tain't no such thing. Both TN distilleries (Daniel and Dickel) use the standard corn/rye/barley mashbill.

UD did sell wheated KY bourbon under the "Cascade RX" label (Dickel was once sold as Cascade), but that was to get rid of surplus stocks they'd been stuck with after overproducing for Rebel Yell, a brand that did not have the growth potential the marketeers were predicting. This was a good decade ago; I doubt there is anything left on the market.
    Okay, good to know. Well, certainly to my taste, Dickel seems to have not to have a very high percentage of rye. I've noticed a trend around here that people only seems to want to pick out mistakes and inconsistencies of others rather than offer advice of answer questions.
    Last edited by funknik; 11-14-2008 at 04:10.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Okay, good to know. Well, certainly to my taste, Dickel seems to have not to have a very high percentage of rye. I've noticed a trend around here that people only seems to want to pick out mistakes and inconsistencies of others rather than offer advice of answer questions.
    Hmm.... I would not make this an either or. The people here really know their stuff (which is why I frequent) and want others to learn as well. I have found most of the major contributors are very kind and helpful. At the same time, this is probably the best gathering of bourbon lovers around (Everything from Master Distillers to Authors of Whiskey Books to descendants of original Bourbon makers). If you say something incorrect, they are going to notice, and help you understand. It would be like walking into the UN and saying Austria was near New Zealand. Your gonna get called out. Part of that is helping people besides you understand. If I did a search for Wheat Whiskey and Dickle 12 came up from your post, unless it is corrected, it simply propogates misinformation.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    If you say something incorrect, they are going to notice, and help you understand.
    Understood -- and I appreciate the correction, I am merely noting that of the 70+ people who viewed this post, only one bothered to offer helpful advice and no one really addressed my question. If you can take time to correct, you can take time to help.

Doesn't matter...

Virtuoso

funknik? Do you know if the bottle is from the BHC (Bourbon Heritage Collection)? Do you know how to tell the difference? There is another thread on this bottle going currently and the person starting it has some great pictures of the bottles from the BHC and the boxes they came in. You might check that out.

Here you go

As for the Whiskey you speak of it's very good and ata fair price. If you are on a mission to try as many bourbons as you can I think $33 bucks is a small price to pay but that's my opinion.

Good luck on you journey!

Tony
    Last edited by ACDetroit; 11-14-2008 at 06:19.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

I concur with Tony. The VSOF is one of my favorites (had some last night actually) and I currently have one open and 2 bunkered. I paid about $35 for mine. They are tough to find in my parts and I jump on them when I find one. Go get it! It's one of the unique flavor profiles out there.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

VSOF is certainly a good whiskey and, as you can see from the posts above, many people think an outstanding one. I would definitely recommend you try it and see what you think. IMO, however, there is one true standout among the old Heritage Collection bottlings, and that is Weller Centennial. It is usually priced in the same range as the VSOF and, whether a Louisville or Frankfort bottle, to my palate it is a much better whiskey. Many would recommend the much cheaper Weller 12 yr, but there again I think the Centennial is worth the extra money.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Do you know if the bottle is from the BHC (Bourbon Heritage Collection)? Do you know how to tell the difference?

Tony
    The three I saw were definitely in those nifty boxes, but I'd have to go back and check to be sure that they are from BHC. Thanks for the tip.