Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Residual bourbon in glass question

On the rare occasion where I find some bourbon..(anykind of whiskey actually)...left in a glass overnight...it invariably has turned cloudy and tastes very off....so, is the obvious reason that most of the alcohol has evaporated and the remaining liquid is subject to oxidation?

Connoisseur

Re: Residual bourbon in glass question

I think that some of the alcohol may have evaporated, but I think that the off taste comes from the alcohol absorbing water from the air. I say this because I sometimes drink arak. If you mix any water with arak, it will turn milky. At times when I have a few drops left in the glass, I notice that it's milky the next morning. I notice a flat taste to left over whiskey, arak, cognac, or any other spirit left out over night. It also tastes diluted. I like my liquor straight. A way to overcome this is to use a Glencairn glass with a lid. Or I guess you could put a poker chip or something over any other glass. This keeps out the air and reduces the absorption of water.

Guru

Or....don't waste any in the first place! I think you are right..the combo of evaporation, possible precipitation if humidity is high, oxidation etc.

Guru

I would attribute it mostly to oxidization. I had a bottle of Antique that I had used to fill a half pint "travel stash". The half pint filled up before what was left in the fifth was completely empty, about a teaspoon's worth. I put the "empty" bottle of Antique upstairs with several other dead soldiers. A year or so later when I went to wash out the bottles I noticed the thin ring of bourbon around the circumference of that concave bottom was cloudy, just like the last few drops of whiskey left in a glass overnight. It had sat in the upstairs closet through summer and fall where it was little effected by the air conditioner through the warmer months. I suspect the heat may have sped up oxidization.

Guru

I wonder if McKenna is chill filtered? Unfiltered whiskey can account for the cloudiness...but the bourbon was at room temp....though as an exeperimet I had placed the bottle in the freezer as a taste test. I don't recall it coming out cloudy.

This poster on another site noticed the same thing:

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/for...isplaybottling
    Last edited by Jono; 09-04-2008 at 14:34.