Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyoming Whiskey

Re: Wyoming Whiskey

At least they were smart enough to get someone that knows what they're doing. I haven't got into too many searches of the micro distilleries and such. The only ones I know about at all are Death's Door Spirits and Woodstone Creek, and what I know about them is not very much. I think it's admirable that people want to open a distillery and produce bourbon/whiskey. Will there be a big enough niche in the market to make these micro distilleries successful? The big boys seem to have most of the bases covered when it comes to variety, taste, cost, etc.. If they wanted, the could make it awfully tough for these guys to compete. Unless their whiskey is very, very good, they could price themselves right out of the market. A couple of questions. 1. Just how successful is Stranahans Colorado whiskey? and 2. Have you heard what Dave Pickerel is up to these days? Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know how Stranahans or any of these micro distillers are doing. I also don't know what their business model is, how they're financed, or what their financial expectations are. I figure they can't stay open forever if they're not profitable, and I haven't heard of any closing yet, just more and more opening.

All I have heard about Dave is that he is trying to go back into consulting and if he can make that work, that's what he'd like to do. He was a consulting engineer to distillers all over the world before he joined Maker's and he'd like to go back to that. He wasn't a Maker's lifer.

Guru

I don't know whether it is worth posting or not, but back in April I sent an E mail to Stranahan's showing my support I wrote:

I had first heard of your whiskey on Straight Bourbon.com but after
    watching the History Chanel's program "modern Marvels", I decided to try
    it. I live in a rural area so I figured I'd have to find it through an on
    line merchant. As luck would have it, circumstances took me down to
    Peoria, about an hour and ten minute drive from home. I picked up a bottle
    at a well stocked liquor store called friar tuck's beverages.

I must say I'm impressed. I'm four square behind the micro-distilling
    movement and your product is among the best. Also, unlike some others your
    whiskey is "your whiskey". Others have started out selling bulk sourced
    whiskey distilled and aged by one of the major distillers passing it off
    as their own until their own distillate has enough age on it to enter the
    commercial pipeline.

I just wanted to drop you guys a line and offer my thanks and
    appreciation.

most sincerely

Bradly H. Ottoson

And their reply:

Bradley, Thank you for the kind words! You are correct: we do NOT contract distill and slap a label on a new bottle. Plan A was always to make something distinctly Colorado. If you're ever out in our part of the woods please stop by. Cheers, Jess

I can't do much, but since I like their whiskey I try to spread the word and I wanted to let them know that I appreciate that the whiskey they are selling is their own distillate. I also squeezed in a mention of SB.com

Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 09-08-2008 at 18:30.

Advanced Taster

Apparently, a CO distiller has entered the fray:
    Peach Street Distillers, a company based in Palisade, has just released the first bourbon -- legal, that is -- ever made in Colorado.

Peach Street already makes Goat Vodka and Jackelope Gin, and its Peach Street Distillers’ Straight Bourbon Whiskey had been aging in oak barrels for two years, waiting for the right time to be bottled and sold.

Which was last Friday. “I’ve been dropping by every week for what seems like an eternity, but they say the finest things are worth waiting for,” said Grand Junction resident Josh Williams, who got one of the 200 bottles available.

Each 750 ml. bottle is hand-numbered by Davy Lindig, head distiller, and proofed at 46 percent alcohol by volume, or 92 proof, according to Lindig's specifications. Although most bourbons are made in Kentucky, the only real requirement is that it be made from at least 51 percent corn (Peach Street uses Olathe sweet corn), aged for not less than two years in American oak barrels, and not supplemented in any way during bottling.
    Given that there are 200 bottles total and they're almost 5 hours drive from Denver, I don't expect a taste any time soon.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    Peach Street already makes Goat Vodka and Jackelope Gin, and its Peach Street Distillers’ Straight Bourbon Whiskey had been aging in oak barrels for two years, waiting for the right time to be bottled and sold.
    The "right time" was apparently the two year mark, the earliest it could be called "Straight Bourbon Whiskey".

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    The "right time" was apparently the two year mark, the earliest it could be called "Straight Bourbon Whiskey".
    You noticed that too?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile