Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Odd bourbonic phenomenon..or, maybe it\'s just me..

OK, going out on a limb and perhaps exposing a bit of weirdness here - thank all the powers that be I took Linn's advice and put on extra pants....

Does anyone find the taste of bourbon to change throughout the course of a single bottle? For example, last night, I decided to revisit my bottle of Woodford Reserve, which to date I had not enjoyed. The first three glassses I had from this bottle lacked any trace of sweetness, and were rather medicinal with a touch of sawdust. The glass I had last night was nothing short of splendid. Sweet, full, robust, tingly, and not the slightest bit medicinal. I've had a couple others that I didn't like the first glass from the bottle, and then it gets better - including bourbons I generally like. The first glass from my current bottle of Old Whiskey River, for example, was flat, dry, and awful. Thought I'd gotten a bad bottle...then it's been fine ever since.

Am I having bourbon hallucinations, or has anyone else experienced this type of thing?

Advanced Taster

Re: Odd bourbonic phenomenon..or, maybe it\'s just me..

What you experienced is perfectly normal. It's the nature of the beast. My first experience with Kentucky Spirit was very similar. I bought a bottle, tried it a few times over the next week, liked it, but was not overly impressed. Several months passed before I went back to the same bottle and tried it again. WOW! What a difference. It turned into the best bourbon I had ever tasted. All whiskeys will change after the bottle has been opened. It's the air in the bottle that changes the whiskey. Sometimes the whiskey changes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I generally try to finish off a bottle within six months after opening it the first time. After a year, things can really start breaking down and the whiskey can become far less than what it was.

SJ

Advanced Taster

Re: Odd bourbonic phenomenon..or, maybe it\'s just

I've had that exact experience Aahzz with several different bourbons...usually those that are higher proof and/or contain a moderate to high percentage of rye.

I agree with Speedy John. Over time, the increasing volume of air in the bottle due to drinking the bourbon produces some sort of "oxidation mellowing" effect. But I'm no expert here....try doing a search here at the forum on "oxidation". There's a good thread called "WT and Oxidation" along with several other good posts.

-Troy

Taster

It's good to know I'm not completely crazy.....

Taster

No.. not _completely_ crazy. As a newcomer to Bourbon i too have noticed this. Actually, it's not too different with cigars. Sometimes you smoke something which just doesn't "do it" for you the first time around. Then, after a few months in the humidor... wow! a great cigar emerges.

I've noticed this phenomenon with Cognacs as well.

Taster

I'm enjoying another glass of the Woodford Reserve even as we speak...whoda thunkit???

**DONOTDELETE**

I would Kyle! Woodford Reserve is candy! Our bourbon is far more consistant than are we humans. It is we that change. The bourbon mearly laughs.

Taster

I now know what you mean when you say the WR is candy! The first 3 or 4 glasses I had, I detected no sweetness whatsoever, which is what turned me off to it...but now, WOW!!! I love this!!! BLEEEEEE, even! But, my pants are safe, 'cuz I just returned from martial arts class and took 'em off anyway .

Advanced Taster

I wonder if it would be a good idea then if you plan on not finishing a bottle for a long time to take a 750ml, keep half to drink and put half in an empty 375ml bottle with no air in it (so it will not 'oxidize'... )

maybe that would be a good 'experiment' if anyone cares about it that much.. see how the bottle with air in it vs. the one without taste after a while...

Guru

I have a bottle of Remy Martin XO cognac that has been open for 12 years. I need to taste it and report back on whether and how I think the taste has changed. Only problem is, I am in the habit of drinking bourbon, now.

Tim