Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Elijah Laughed Today, was: Odd bourbonic phenom...

I scouted quite a while looking for a thread to place this post, and I think Linn's post created the perfect context.

In the past I have expressed my hope that others would display consistency in their bourbon likes and dislikes (thus enabling me to make prudent purchases based on their experience). I, on the other hand, have found myself to be the very model of fickleness. Even so, my latest bourbonic adventure involves a flip-flop that would be a credit to any politician. ("Read my lips, 'I did not have a relationship with that bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 y/o.' ")

In Chapter One I was just getting acquainted with a variety of bourbons after years of being under a spell that was cast upon me during a visit to Lynchburg back in the 70's. One of my early experiments was EC 12. It too was enchanting, in its own way. "What are those flavors?", I kept asking myself. "This stuff is absolutely fascinating!" It never occurred to me to ask myself whether I actually liked it.

In Chapter two I branched out considerably, probably way too fast to absorb all of the new taste sensations that I encountered. Nevertheless, a new favorite [family] emerged. Depending on just how much oomph I'm in the mood for, either Russell's Reserve or Kentucky Spirit became my absolute favorite, with RR well in the lead on a value-for-dollar basis. I know there are many other enjoyable bourbons, but for me those were the leaders of the pack.

In Chapter three I started revisiting previously opened bottles, trying to recall the nose and taste sensations before I opened the bottle in each case. I was amazed at how unreliable my recall was. One of the odder occurrences was my discovery that I liked Evan Williams Single Barrel, 1992 vintage, better than EC 12, which seemed to have become overpowering and just downright confusing. (In contrast, earlier I had dismissed EWSB as weak and lacking a distinctive character.)

Chapter four brings us up to the present time, but first a little side note. Until yesterday I had stuck with Russell's Reserve or WT101 on an almost daily basis for a week or more. Then yesterday I decided I wanted a change of pace. I happened to pick EWSB. At first taste I wondered whether I had grabbed the wrong bottle, perhaps Benchmark. Suddenly the words "weak and lacking a distinctive character" seemed apropos once again. How puzzling!

Today I was once again pondering my ever-changing taste, and it occurred to me that it might be interesting to try the EC 12 again. I did, and it was magnificent, full-bodied, spicy/minty, and a pleasantly peppery-hot finish (am I imagining a similarity to Knob Creek?).

Could that be the ghost of Elijah Craig that I hear, laughing tauntingly from afar? Or is it, as Linn suggested, the bourbon laughing, as it continuously beguiles me, while my taste and aroma receptors struggle futilely to find truth?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Taster

Re: Elijah Laughed Today, was: Odd bourbonic phenom...

This is so true. Just the other night, while my wife and I waited for our friends, I ordered a Knob Creek neat at the restaurant bar. I have to say it was my best KC experience to date. I introduced about a quarter to a half straw full of my side ice water. Just a touch. It was wonderful. Most of the times I love it. Still other times I have found it too harsh. I had another and then one with dinner, which also tasted good. This brings up another interesting point. That is, normally I don't like to eat any thing while I drink my Bourbon. I find it really affects the taste. (Or is it effects. Who knows.) Particularly something spicy, like chips and salsa. This did not hold so true this time. I still had some left to enjoy after our meal.

On another occasion, I was bottle nipping and noticed how different things tasted with the after taste of another still present. It was interesting. It was during this little experiment, that I really noticed the leather smell of my Evan Williams 7 year old, which I had a glass of with ice. This was probably my best EW7 experience.

Sorry, Bird Brother, but I haven't been enjoying my 101 as much anymore. I've been into the KC and EW7. I'm also trying to finish my Ezra Brooks 90 proof, which is sometimes hard to do. But not to worry. I know The Bird shall fly again!

Fickly,

Winslow

Disciple

Thats Odd. . ..

Thats odd, as I find EC12 to be one of the most consistant, & consistantly pleasing bourbons in my cabinet. When all my other tastes go awry, I turn to EC 12 & it rights the ship. . . .

who knows,

TomC

Guru

Re: Thats Odd. . ..

Odd, indeed; or perhaps not.

Just remember, even though I'm chronologically one of the older people in this discussion group, as a bourbonian I'm still in my first semi-serious year. Perhaps it's not totally unexpected that at times my taste fluctuates wildly. (So far, my "right the ship" bourbon, if I have one, is... you guessed it, Russell's Reserve.)

If nothing else, my experience supports the wisdom of Linn's approach to tasting. Go through at least a bottle or so, and keep notes of every occasion. I think in one case he said he drank one whole bottle just to get acquainted and then started taking notes on the second bottle.

I on the other hand had the chutzpah to write one of my tastings in real time; I hit the send button just seconds after I finished my second glass. I wish I hadn't done that. My rapture at the time has since faded somewhat, as I have tried other top-shelf bourbons.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield