Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whisky

This just showed up on the shelves at Party Source. As discussed elsewhere on this forum, this is Cincinnati's first straight bourbon whisky (their spelling).

Details:
    • triple malt / five grain (two kinds of corn, malted barley, malted rye, and malted wheat.
    • single barrel, no chill filtering
    • made in a 238 gallon pot still
    • 47% ABV
    • NAS but presumably at least 4 yrs.
    • $80 / 750ml (ouch!)
    My bottle is labeled Barrel #2, 23 cases, 7/4/08.

I'll crack this open sometime this weekend and post my impressions

Distillery website : http://woodstonecreek.com/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jburlowski; 09-06-2008 at 08:48.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Irreverent One

Re: Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whisky

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    triple malt / five grain (two kinds of corn, malted barley, malted rye, and malted wheat.
    A different bill than previously reported in another thread here on SB.com.

I still have my doubts about describing two varieties of corn as different grains, but I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to call it "four grain".
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes, that is different than I thought I read elsewhere, I thought I read that two forms of malted barley were used, one peated. Perhaps barrel #1 had a different spec? Anyway this is an exciting development and I look forward to your taste notes.

This is not just Cinci's first straight bourbon. It is (as far as I know) the first straight bourbon to appear from a new company since Maker's Mark in the 1950's. If I am wrong I'm happy to be corrected but that is my current understanding.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-06-2008 at 11:15.

Guru

Just to be clear: the mash bill is what was reported to me by Jay Erisman, Spirits Manager at the Party Source. I've always found Jay to be very knowledgible about whiskeys.

More here:
    http://partysourceeq.com/2008/08/28/...rbon/#more-458
    Last edited by jburlowski; 09-06-2008 at 12:22.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Yes, that is different than I thought I read elsewhere, I thought I read that two forms of malted barley were used, one peated. Perhaps barrel #1 had a different spec? Anyway this is an exciting development and I look forward to your taste notes.

This is not just Cinci's first straight bourbon. It is (as far as I know) the first straight bourbon to appear from a new company since Maker's Mark in the 1950's. If I am wrong I'm happy to be corrected but that is my current understanding.

Gary
    It depends on how you parse it. Maker's was a new straight bourbon brand from a new distillery in 1959, or whenever it was. But in 1992, UD opened a new distillery and although it didn't honor the occasion with a new brand, they were new straight bourbons, in that they came from a new distillery. In the 1990s, Woodford Reserve was a new brand from an existing distillery, but gradually came to contain whiskey from a new distillery. So, I guess it is, but not really. It would take very careful wording to bridge those two events accurately.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

New brands from an existing bourbon producer, but not a new producer. I had said, "from a new company".

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Like I said, it takes some careful parsing.

I'll manage to restrain my excitement until I've tasted it.

Enthusiast

I first heard about this several years ago while visiting Dan Listermann's homebrew supply shop and manufacturing facility (Dan invented and makes Phil's Philler and other products).

Dan bought a funky old factory some years ago for his business in a run down part of Cincinnati near Xavier University. He has lots of room, and rents part of it out to Don Outterson.

Unfortunately, Don wasn't in when I was there (although Dan had told me ahead of time that they probably would be), and I don't get down to the Queen City as often as before since my mother moved up here to Michigan. Too bad - I was hoping for a barrel sample.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

"The distillery portion of Woodstone Creek is not open to the public. We cannot offer tours, tastings or retail sales of our spirits from the winery. The distiller will not see anyone without an appointment. If he has no business interest in the reason for your visit, you will not be given an appointment. Access to the still is restricted.
    If you’re just curious about the art of hand distillation, we sell a set of books for $35 plus shipping and handling."

The above from the Woodstone Creek website. The distiller sounds like an asshole. No thanks; I will skip this product.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    "The distillery portion of Woodstone Creek is not open to the public. We cannot offer tours, tastings or retail sales of our spirits from the winery. The distiller will not see anyone without an appointment. If he has no business interest in the reason for your visit, you will not be given an appointment. Access to the still is restricted.
    If you’re just curious about the art of hand distillation, we sell a set of books for $35 plus shipping and handling."

The above from the Woodstone Creek website. The distiller sounds like an asshole. No thanks; I will skip this product.
    I believe that part of their position is driven by Ohio law which does not allow sales or tastings...
    John B