Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whisky

Yes, the tasting and retail sales part of that is Ohio State law.

The portion about distiller not seeing anyone without a business interest speaks asshole.

Guru

Here are my first impressions:

Appearance:
    Medium amber color. Slightly cloudy (possibly due to lack of filtering)

Nose:
    Light and airy. Some spiciness... perhaps cinnamon

Taste:
    Richer and more complex than I had expected for what I assume is a young whiskey. Pronounced cereal tones... like cooked breakfast cereal (Malt-O-Meal?) Medium maple-syrup like sweetness.

Finish:
    Light and rather quick to fade. A delightful roasted toffee with very little burn.

Overall:
    A very, very engaging bourbon. Easy to drink and robust beyond its years. Impressive ---- I like this... a lot. With more age this would only get better. I would certainly recommend a purchase (if you can handle the price).
    Last edited by jburlowski; 09-07-2008 at 10:16.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks John, for giving us the first review on SB of the first straight bourbon from a new distiller since the 1950's! It sounds like a fine drink and I look forward to trying it.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'll side with Wade's estimation of the distiller on this one. Thank goodness the distillers in KY don't take the approach...."If I can't make money off of your visit, then you're SOL. Don't bother me!

I've run into these types in the CA wine business and I don't support them either.

Randy

Guru

That's enough of an endorsement for me never to buy any.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Thanks for the review, John. Hadn't heard of this bottling before at all until your post here. Very interesting.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Disciple

Ohio's laws may prevent tastings and on premises sales, but they don't prevent visitor tours. This distiller is SOL in getting my business too!

Thomas

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Ohio's laws may prevent tastings and on premises sales, but they don't prevent visitor tours. This distiller is SOL in getting my business too!

Thomas
    Hopefully it's just some badly worded sentences.

I toured a micro distillery locally that produces gin, vodka and other things and they were very kind and the head distiller showed us around and answered questions.

Most that interact in the micro distilling community are very open and share information willingly. If you have one locally don't hesitate to call them or stop by if you are interested. They want to connect with customers and even if they can't sell it to you on premisis they certainly want to let you know the nearest stores to find it.

I think the normal attitude is quite different than the one this company is taking.

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I agree with you 100% Greg. Most people involved in smaller wine/spirits/beer making are doing it because of their passion and/or interest in their craft. Most are more than willing to take the time to discuss their products with someone who also shows a sincere interest. This also makes good business sense when you're making something for the retail market. These are the people who will get my business.

But here's an example of someone who won't. I had always been a fan of Tom Dellinger's wines, particularly his pinots. I have been buying them since the early '80's when they were available in Texas. He has had great success with his wines and you'll only see them on wine lists now as very little goes to retail. My wife wrote him many years ago telling him of my long term appreciation of his wines and asked for an appointment for a brief visit. No response. Several direct phone calls later got a "hell no" type of response. I was telling this story to Adam Lee with Siduri Winery many years later. Adam laughed and told me his Dellinger's an asshole story. Adam had order some oak barrels from France and the maker asked permission to include them in a shipment to Dellinger (right down the road from Siduri) to save everyone on shipping costs. When they arrived at Dellinger's winery, Tom Dellinger calls Adam and says "Come and get your G__ D___ barrels in the next 48 hours or I'm putting my wine in them". I laughed and said at least he's an asshole to everyone.

Back on topic.....I won't likely be purchasing any Woodstone Creek products ..... but if offered a taste, then that's a different matter. His product sounds interesting.

Randy

Disciple

I agree that most of the smaller distilling concerns are very cordial to visitors. My main point was that Woodstone is not bound by any Ohio state laws that forbid it from showing its premises to anyone. To call and ask to visit and be told no is one thing, to come right out of the gate with an attitude against accomadating visitors and potential customers is quite another. I would taste the Woodstone whiskey if offered a drink, but seeing that I have lived nearly 43 years without Woodstone whiskey, I don't envision life ending if I live 43 more and never taste it. Too many others in the distilling business have been cordial and polite to justify putting up with an attitude similar to that of Woodstone!

Thomas