Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whisky

I went to the website and looked around. There is quite a bit of interesting history and information about the company. They describe how it's run by a couple and that they do what they can to keep it going without employees. There is also information about the man's beginnings into distilling and how he got to the point he is now.

The full text of the quote is

"PLEASE NOTE:
    The New York Times and Wall Street Journal articles generated a significant amount of interest. The distillery portion of Woodstone Creek is not open to the public. We cannot offer tours, tastings or retail sales of our spirits from the winery. Access to the still is restricted to employees only.
    If you’re just curious about the art of hand distillation, you can order a set of books from us for $35 plus shipping and handling. Please remember all distillation, without a license, for personal consumption or sale is a violation of federal law. "

Seems to be directed specifically at tremendous interest from recent articles in two huge national papers about the distillery. My take is that they are small and growing and just can't meet the demand for tours and they are explaining that you can't get the spirits in the wine tasting room.

Check it out:

http://www.woodstonecreek.com

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Virtuoso

They might not even be able to meet the demand for all the email the articles generated.

My guess, based on the way that is written, that they are getting a lot of email asking how their products are made and how the writers can make their own. A lot. A lot asking the same questions. A lot asking questions that are already answered on the Web site. The $35 book thing to me sounds like frustration to me: "Please quit asking us how you can open your own distillery. We have our own business to run!"

It's been my experience with Web site visitors, however, that the ones most in need of the information you provide on the site are the ones least likely to read a damned thing before sending your their questions. They just look straight for an email address or a feedback link. It doesn't matter if their questions are answered on the site or not. Many of them won't even say it if you put it in big bold type right on the feedback form. Seriously!*

So when you put something like that on your site, you are pissing off the people who do read while missing the people you are writing for, since they can't be bothered. My guess is that they'll figure that out eventually.

* I have pictures of tourist attractions, roughly defined, on my Web site. One of these pictures is of the Tupperware corporate headquarters sign. It's just the sign. The caption says something about the gift shop. There's nothing on that page to indicate that I have anything to do with Tupperware.

On the top of my feedback form I wrote in italic text

If you think you are writing to a company or attraction pictured on this site, you are mistaken.

That page, however, used to show up above Tupperware's in Google. So people who follow the link, clink on "feedback", and fill in the form with whatever complaint they had about the company. Some even sent multiple messages complaining about the lack of response.

Clearly none of these people bother to read a damned thing on my site. They just click click click.

So my guess is that the distillery is attempting to reach a specific audience but is, in fact, missing that audience and hitting the wrong one.

Taster

they have recently changed that text, maybe as of yesterday it also said "The distiller will not see anyone without an appointment. If he has no business interest in the reason for your visit, you will not be given an appointment."
    Randy

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

They did change the text on their website and removed the offending portion the day after my post.

Hmmmm....maybe someone from Woodstone is reading this board. If so, please register and stop in and say hello on this thread. You now have a chance to turn a negative into a positive.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Go to the next thread. There's a post there by Brad about a letter he sent to Stranahan's, and Jess Graber's reply. All exactly what you would expect. Brad wrote a nice letter, he got a nice letter in reply. Jess and Don have the same kind of operation, as do hundreds of others. None of these other guys have trouble making a little time for people. It's how you choose to run your business. It's a free country, but I wouldn't bet on any company that's rude to its customers. Possibly there's something about a Wall Street Journal mention that causes you to be bombarded by completely pointless inquiries. I've had a little contact with Don, though not recently, and he was always nice enough. I don't know. How rare is it for any winery to not welcome visitors? Their tasting room is open one day a week. If you look at their website, it has a lot of that same tone. Lots of rules for everything. See how many ways he can find to say "don't bother us." I guess that means his products must be pretty good, because he has been in business since 1999 and he's not getting by on his charm.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    They did change the text on their website and removed the offending portion the day after my post.

Hmmmm....maybe someone from Woodstone is reading this board. If so, please register and stop in and say hello on this thread. You now have a chance to turn a negative into a positive.
    that's a good sign. I hope they do post here.

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just obtained some Woodstone bourbon, I'm currently tasting it at our hotel in Cincinnati (Hilton Netherlands, a 1931 art deco pile with many interesting features, like Seelbach in many ways). The bourbon is excellent: rich-tasting with caramel-vanilla notes and a complex flavor. It has a kind of flinty finish which balances the sweetness. A fine effort in that it is a traditional bourbon taste with a difference:the pot still and mash bill show their stuff!

I'll have a bottle out tomorrow at Gazebo.

Gary

Guru

Gary:

I'd love to hear your further impressions (and those who tried it a the KBF).

I continue to be impressed with this pour. Admittedly I started with minimal expectations, but I am amazed at the complexity in such a (presumably) young bourbon. If they keep at it, I forsee even better expressions in the future..
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have another bottle for use at home (the first one was emptied at Gazebo just passed) and will report my further taste impressions. I am a fan too.

It is really not that young - even assuming it is 4 years old only (a minimum), there are other bourbons we like well enough of that age, e.g., Old Forester, Maker's Mark.

Some people who tried it at Gazebo just passed liked it; others said it was good but for the money they would buy something else; one or two others did not like it.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I thought it was all surface, no depth, a veneer of whiskey flavors over a neutral base. No mouth feel. Didn't hate it. Didn't like it.