Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Interesting Finds

Had some running around to do after work. Decided to make it worth my while and hit one of the local liquor stores when I was done. Found a few interesting bottles, that weren't there on previous visits.

#1. Jacob's Well 750 ml, 84 proof
    I did a little research, and found that this hasn't been made for quite a while. From what I gather, it's just an "okay" bourbon, similar to JB Black. It might be good to pick up a couple for trading.

#2 Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe, 750 ml 80 proof, aged 36 months
    Haven't found much on this at all, except it is one of the younger HH offerings.

#3 Evan Williams #10 Brand, 750 ml 86 proof
    Same as the regular EW black label that it was sitting next to, except name and completely different bottle. ?

#4 Benchmark Premium Bourbon, 1 liter, 80 proof
    Bottled By Old Benchmark, New Orleans
    After reading some of the different posts here about Benchmark, especially lately, I'm completely confused.

So, what does everyone think?
    All comments, recommendations, etc......, will be graciously accepted. Thanks, Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Interesting Finds

Jacob's Well - probably close to Jim Beam Black. ? should be about $20. nice bourbon for the price.

Benchmark Premium - I would buy at least a bottle of this and give it a try.

Guru

I would get the EW and the Benchmark as well.

Unless you like liquorish, skip the Jacob's Well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I think I need to pay more attention to the Ultra Deluxe that's on the shelves in KY, I don't recall it being a 3yo...kinda cool actually, you see almost no whiskies under 4yo on the shelves.

Personally, I would have left the EW, but the other two would have come home with me.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Wasn't Jacob's Well some sort of mingling or re-barreling effort in some ways similar to glenfiddich's solera reserve?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Had some running around to do after work. Decided to make it worth my while and hit one of the local liquor stores when I was done. Found a few interesting bottles, that weren't there on previous visits.

#1. Jacob's Well 750 ml, 84 proof
    I did a little research, and found that this hasn't been made for quite a while. From what I gather, it's just an "okay" bourbon, similar to JB Black. It might be good to pick up a couple for trading.

#2 Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe, 750 ml 80 proof, aged 36 months
    Haven't found much on this at all, except it is one of the younger HH offerings.

#3 Evan Williams #10 Brand, 750 ml 86 proof
    Same as the regular EW black label that it was sitting next to, except name and completely different bottle. ?

#4 Benchmark Premium Bourbon, 1 liter, 80 proof
    Bottled By Old Benchmark, New Orleans
    After reading some of the different posts here about Benchmark, especially lately, I'm completely confused.

So, what does everyone think?
    All comments, recommendations, etc......, will be graciously accepted. Thanks, Joe

1-3, I would leave on the shelf....as for #4...I am not sure which version that is??? SB, 4yr, 8yr??? ...help me out on this one. What were the prices on these odd bottles?

1. Just not that powerful or impressive.
    2. HH's 3yr bourbon...is not that good. Private Cellar is our 3yr from HH, in Texas.
    3. Look for the 10yr not the #10, although the #10 is probably older than the regular black label.
    4. Hard to say whether it is a keeper without more info.

Good luck!

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Somewhere previously on this forum, it was mentioned that one of HH's reps stated that EW1783 lost a year of age along with its age statement. It in now approx. 9yo bourbon with no stated age!

Thomas

Disciple

I talked to HH at one point...they stated that the bottles were a mix of different years with some of the original year still mixed in. So, the black will still have some 7-8 yr and the #10 will have a few 10 year old barrels. Just not the whole batch, now. They are mixing in barrels from 4 yrs and up in the batches now.

Jeff Mo.

More finds today. While out looking for something for another SB member, I stopped at a local grocery store that has a pretty good selection of bourbons. Imagine my surprise when I found out they now carry Four Roses products. Yellow Label, Small Batch, and Single Barrel. Almost bought the Single Barrel. It was only $32.99. I'm holding out for my bottle from the distillery during KBF. Did buy a Rock The Vote bottle of MM for $20.99. The big surprise was while trying to find another store, (that I found out doesn't exist, longer story yet) in a small town north of where I live, I stumbled upon a different store that I was unaware of. They had the usual selection of bourbons you would expect from a mid-sized liquor store. Except for one bottle. A still in the box bottle of the BHC VSOF. Was going to take some notes and maybe go back sometime and get it. I thought better of it, and bought it. The owner said it had been there awhile. I thought the price was decent at $29.95. Looks like I got lucky again. Hope my lucky streak continues. KBF, here I come! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

I think you will really enjoy the VSOF. Great find.

Jeff Mo.