Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Interesting Finds

It sounds like I need to drive up to Rockford, if the rain ever stops.

I probably would have been most excited about the Jacob's Well, not because it's the best of the lot, but because it's the rarest.

The old bottling of VSOF is well worth $30, so that's a good pick too.

The rest are iterations and oddities that might be of interest to some.

Enthusiast

Joe, I have been on a bit of a jag picking up stragglers and extra bottles from local purveyors of spirited beverages. This is actually quite fun but has quickly drained my extra money! It looks like you had a good day and a great haul home.

Picked up a glass 1.75 of Old Forester BIB today. It appears from the numbers on the bottom of the bottle that it is from 1991. Check out the pics for all pertinent info. Have I stumbled on something really good? I left two more at the store. I'm not sure if I should open this now or wait. What say ye all? Thanks, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

If you open it and drink some...you will be at that store to get the rest asap. So, with one comes the other.

Was the price about$25?

Jeff Mo.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. You were almost dead on with the price. It was $25.99. I didn't see these last time at the store because I was caught off guard by all the BHC stuff they had. Joe

Disciple

if you liked that repeal bourbon...this will be fatter and sweeter.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Picked up a glass 1.75 of Old Forester BIB today. It appears from the numbers on the bottom of the bottle that it is from 1991. Check out the pics for all pertinent info. Have I stumbled on something really good? I left two more at the store. I'm not sure if I should open this now or wait. What say ye all? Thanks, Joe
    If i had seen this on the shelf? I would have dove into it head-first like Moss going for a touchdown!

talk about lucky...

BB

Guru

That's a good whiskey. The BIB from the early 90's is better than the standard 86 proof. I was a knucklehead and left some BIB's on the shelf a month ago that were '83....those are a couple steps better than the '91. I've said it before, the older you get with the Forester, the better.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Stopped at a store on the way home from work today. I haven't stopped at this one in a while. They still have the two bottle of Jacob's Well and two bottles of that 91 Benchmark that I posted about some months back. Today I spotted some Walkers Deluxe Bourbon. I must say I didn't pay close enough attention to this bottle. I didn't check out the proof, age, or if it was from Peoria or not. It did say distilled by Hiram Walker and Son's, and had a white label. Does Walker's have a current/semi-current bottling of bourbon?

I also stopped at a store on the way home from the bowling alley tonight. They had a couple of new ones on the shelf. The first was Fighting Cock. I almost bought a bottle. The second was Heaven Hill Blended Whiskey. First time I'd ever seen this one. This time I paid a bit more attention. It is 80 proof, and is made from, and I quote, "20% straight whiskey not less than 36 months old, and 80% GNS". This reminded me of some of the recent threads about what to hoard, and what labels might be changing or dropped all together. I'm not sure what to think. I don't want to come across like I've turned into a bourbon snob. I guess I've just become accustomed and satisfied with mostly straight bourbons. Any thoughts on this one? Joe

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    ...the older you get with the Forester, the better.
    414>354

Roger...