Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Hello from the Island of Long

hey all, my name is Mark and I already "introduced" myself in the Politics and Controversy forum and got some interesting reactions...a guy named Dave is already ignoring me which is pretty cool for just a few innocuous posts.

I live forty miles from NYC but work in the city. I like to spend time with my family participating in assorted sports, building tree forts, catching crabs at the beach, all the usual Ward Cleaver stuff. I've been into music, of every sort, pretty much forever and I'm fairly well versed in every genre from doo-wop to ska to country to rock to blues to whatever. Also art and design. I also really dig history and the most recent book I've read is about the history of oysters in NYC (sounds boring but actually amazing stuff and hits on topics from economics to the environment to the birth of restaurant culture in 19th century America). Before that it was a book about the history of catapults and trebuchets and how to make working models of the same (boys love to launch stuff).

Beer is definitely my forte and where most of my knowledge lays but I'm really a fan of anything that tastes good so I'm not exclusionary. I'll drink wine, port ,scotch, bourbon, gin, tequila etc. Not a big vodka fan. I enjoy good food from the stinkiest nastiest cheese to Thai to Indian to whatever the local farmers market has. I make a killer pizza. I don't know much about bourbon but I'm here to learn.

This is probably way more than anyone wants to know so I'll stop now. see ya in the forums.

Guru

Re: Hello from the Island of Long

Welcome to the fold Mark... Look forward to you "non" off topic posts..

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Welcome, Mark.

Any favorite beers or whiskies?

Since you dig history you may wish to check out Sam Cecil's The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

Welcome! I'm also a fan of good beers. Lately my favorite has been St. Bernardus Abt. 12. I just wish I could find some place in the DC area that has it on top.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Welcome, Mark.

Any favorite beers or whiskies?

Since you dig history you may wish to check out Sam Cecil's The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky.
    favorite beers...long list but I drink mostly American "craft brew" and Belgians but I'm no beer snob, I just like what I like.... lately any beers from Saint Bernardus especially the tripel and the 12(quadrupel). Most recent IPA to spark my interest is Green Flash from CA. Excellent west coast IPA.
    I've had a few very nice bottles of Allagash Interlude lately as well as their Curieux, a Belgian style tripel aged in (there ya go) bourbon barrels.Also it's the time of year to be diving in on Oktoberfests and this year's Spaten is damn fine.Lastly, Captain Lawrence beers from here in NY.

the book sounds right up my alley...available in bookstores or maybe a better chance of finding it on line?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Welcome! I'm also a fan of good beers. Lately my favorite has been St. Bernardus Abt. 12. I just wish I could find some place in the DC area that has it on top.
    too funny as I just mentioned the 12....I'll assume you meant on tap, not top.
    I'm pretty sure it's a bottle conditioned beer so not sure how it would be on tap and I've never seen it served that way. It's funny, in Belgium there does not seem to be much desire to see certain bottle conditioned beers served on tap and it appears the reason that some brewers there are going that route is to serve the American market. For some beers it makes sense, for others perhaps less so as the beer gains complexity as it ages in the bottle. But there's no right or wrong, just personal preference.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by malto View Post
    hey all, my name is Mark and I already "introduced" myself in the Politics and Controversy forum and got some interesting reactions...a guy named Dave is already ignoring me which is pretty cool for just a few innocuous posts.

I live forty miles from NYC but work in the city. I like to spend time with my family participating in assorted sports, building tree forts, catching crabs at the beach, all the usual Ward Cleaver stuff. I've been into music, of every sort, pretty much forever and I'm fairly well versed in every genre from doo-wop to ska to country to rock to blues to whatever. Also art and design. I also really dig history and the most recent book I've read is about the history of oysters in NYC (sounds boring but actually amazing stuff and hits on topics from economics to the environment to the birth of restaurant culture in 19th century America). Before that it was a book about the history of catapults and trebuchets and how to make working models of the same (boys love to launch stuff).

Beer is definitely my forte and where most of my knowledge lays but I'm really a fan of anything that tastes good so I'm not exclusionary. I'll drink wine, port ,scotch, bourbon, gin, tequila etc. Not a big vodka fan. I enjoy good food from the stinkiest nastiest cheese to Thai to Indian to whatever the local farmers market has. I make a killer pizza. I don't know much about bourbon but I'm here to learn.

This is probably way more than anyone wants to know so I'll stop now. see ya in the forums.
    Welcome, Mark. Referencing "Leave it to Beaver", and catching crabs, all in the same sentence! Now, we're talkin'!! Seriously, thanks for the intro, and I hope you enjoy your trek through Bourbonia.

Cheers!

JOE

Enthusiast

Nassau County checking in.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

favorite beers...long list but I drink mostly American "craft brew" and Belgians but I'm no beer snob, I just like what I like.... lately any beers from Saint Bernardus especially the tripel and the 12(quadrupel). Most recent IPA to spark my interest is Green Flash from CA. Excellent west coast IPA.
    I've had a few very nice bottles of Allagash Interlude lately as well as their Curieux, a Belgian style tripel aged in (there ya go) bourbon barrels.Also it's the time of year to be diving in on Oktoberfests and this year's Spaten is damn fine.Lastly, Captain Lawrence beers from here in NY.

the book sounds right up my alley...available in bookstores or maybe a better chance of finding it on line?
    I have similar quaffing patterns. Mostly Belgian Sours and Gueuze with a good smattering of Micros and some Brits and Germans mixed in to keep it interesting

Your best bet would probably be online for the book, though many of the distillery gift-shops stock it.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

too funny as I just mentioned the 12....I'll assume you meant on tap, not top.
    I'm pretty sure it's a bottle conditioned beer so not sure how it would be on tap and I've never seen it served that way. It's funny, in Belgium there does not seem to be much desire to see certain bottle conditioned beers served on tap and it appears the reason that some brewers there are going that route is to serve the American market. For some beers it makes sense, for others perhaps less so as the beer gains complexity as it ages in the bottle. But there's no right or wrong, just personal preference.
    Yeah, on tap. I had it on tap at a place in Philly a few weeks ago and it was delicious.

We have several places in DC that serve Belgian beers on tap, but I haven't found the Bernardus Abt. 12 on tap yet around here.

I generally like darker, maltier beers, sometimes yeasty ones. Prefer sweeter stouts to drier stouts. Not big on bitter hoppiness. No IPAs for me.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?