Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Drinking Bourbon in Bars

Would that refer to an ancient case of Ouzo?

Taster

I guess I do now since Ann Arbor is only about a half hour away! You must have been at the Blues festival or something. Thanks for the link.

Winslow

Taster

Well, I do now! Actually, next wedding I have to go to, I'm just takin' a dang hip flask!

Administrator in exile

Here in Lexington the problem is not so bad. Most mid-to-upscale restaraunts will have:Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 80 & 101, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek and a few others. It is actually more difficult to find the bottom shelf brands when dining out. A few of our finer establishments will also carry the likes of Blanton's, Booker's, Baker's and Rare Breed. Desha's downtown even carries Pappy Van Winkle 20yo for around $10/glass.

I attended a wedding Charlotte 8 months ago that started well (-real- NC barbecue for the rehearsal dinner) but ended bad...

the closest thing to whisky of any sort they had at the reception was Southern Comfort!

Gin and Tonic, at least the bottle said it was gin, tasted more like vodka mixed with pine sol...

Connoisseur

ph0rk,
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    real- NC barbecue for the rehearsal dinner

[/QUOTE]
    I jus' gotta know...where did you eat? If you tell me Allen &amp; Sons or Lexington BBQ I don't believe I'll be able to take it... .
    Gawd I love good bbq.
    Merry Christmas,
    Beej

Virtuoso

Are you talking about Allen &amp; Sons in Chapel Hill on Hwy 86? If so, great place! I love the q there. The bad part is, I have to watch my sugar intake, so all the glorious fixings and delicious home made pies are a no-no for me.

To avoid sugar at home, I eat pork rinds as a snack. Last spring, we went to A&amp;S for lunch. We saw a sign by the register that said "Pork Rind, $1.00". One of the good ol boys eating with us said you can't beat fresh fried pork rind as he had tasted it at county fairs. So, I ordered a bag to go. Guess what was in the bag? A pork rind, not rinds. Yep, a hunk of pig skin, not fried. To avoid embarrasment, I didn't say anything. I took it home to give to the dogs.

P.S. Pork rinds (the fried kind in a bag) aren't a good companion to bourbon. Better stick to the Pepsi (er, Diet Pepsi) to wash them down.

No clue whose 'q it was, as it was catered.

It was in Charlotte, thats why i was shocked it was the proper (eastern NC) BBQ.

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    I apologize, I missed this post earlier.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Are you talking about Allen &amp; Sons in Chapel Hill on Hwy 86? If so, great place!

[/QUOTE]
    Yepper, thats the place. Not much to look at but oh my gawd, the food...
    The only time I really care much about the skin is if we've done a whole hog, the last hour or so, the skin will puff up and it's like the real deal. It's the stuff those pork rinds in the bag were made to taste like.
    I think I heard an artery clogging...
    Beej