Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Drinking Bourbon in Bars

Recently I was in a bar that hosts a blues jam. I wanted bourbon. The entire selection consisted of Jim Beam white, Knob Creek, and some nondescript well bourbon.

At another blues club that I frequent, their top American whiskies are WT 101 and JD Single Barrel.

Then there are bars like this one. (How can they make money on A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o at that price?)

How many of you have access to a bar that offers a significant selection of bourbon?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: Drinking Bourbon in Bars

I don't frequent bars..... I make a lot of shirts for them and drop them off.....I always check their selection Around here you get a very good selection of bourbon .......but on the Belle of Louisville (Steamboat) I attended a huge party this past spring.....I went to the bar to check out what they had........nearly blew me away.....all they had was Jim Beam white and Makers Mark.......that was it ........Sooooooooooooooo I order my Bud then another and another etc...........then Pat had ta damn near carry me off the boat .........I had a really good time ........

Bettye Jo

Guru

Re: Parties at unfamiliar locales

Two words: "hip flask".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I almost never go to bars except when I am out of town. But I can tell you about a great one in Atlanta! Pappy 20-yr was $11. Rock Hill Farms was $6.25. I don't remember the other prices.

Tim

Taster

I don't generally go to bars anymore (life with an infant daughter). I was, however, at a wedding this weekend that had a rather poor choice in their otherwise well-stocked bar. Beam White or Old Granddad (the 86 proof variety). Also, they refused to serve it neat, which annoyed the hell out of me. Only served in a glass FULL of ice......

Connoisseur

I almost always check the bourbon selection (as well as the tequila selection, which is usually even worse) in a bar. Most of the bars I would go into locally carry several bourbons and usually (because it is a college town and many students have Daddy's credit card) carry some quality bourbons.

Most here carry two to four Beam Small batch, plus Makers, plus Buffalo Trace. I know the managers or owners of several bars locally. Some bars only carry what "sells." That tranlates to "what sells frequently" so they are not wasting money on inventory and shelf space. Some are a bit different (wiser in my opinion) and carry some products to satisfy that occaissional customer who wants to impress someone by ordering something out of the ordinary and expensive.

I talked to a barkeeper in Covington, KY last week and suggested they carry Van Winkle products (at least one) as a chance to 'upsell' to guests who want the unusual.

Yet, when I travel I am often amazed to find only Beam White, maybe Turkey, and maybe Makers plus a well whiskey in a bar.

Enthusiast

I've found that the best selection of good bourbon from here to the Pecos is at expensive hotel bars and at good restaurants/steak houses that cater to businessmen. If you see an 'oilmans special' on the menu, you're all set.

Your sports bars, titty bars and beer & shot bars around here usually stock Beam White, Knob Creek, Makers (and JD) and some 'well' bottles. Anyplace where you go regularly will carry anything you ask the barkeep for (assuming you tip well).
    NOTE this rural exception: Eagles Clubs, VFW's and other fraternal orgs. that support a cash bar may have a surprising assortment of bourbon selections behind the bar.

Moral of the story? If your buddy lost a bet and he owes you a drink, have him meet you at the Ritz.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"they refused to serve it neat"

What kind of sick (not to mention weirdly controlling) people are these?

Enthusiast

Lucky you carry your own glass for just such problems!

Guru

What a great whiskey list...fine bourbons, excellent choice of Irish..Middletons is rare, Scotch..Macallan's (my favorite) 18 yr etc. What a taste treat at very good prices....compared to $9-10+ at many bars around Chicago area...if you can find a fraction of that list to boot!