Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Hello from Iowa

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,043

    Hello from Iowa

    Hello been lurking around here for a while had a little trouble getting activated, but been enjoying reading ever ones post. I enjoy bourbon presently been drinking WT101, WTRB, Knob Creek and Booker's but these sites are giving me so many ideas of new bourbons to try. Also ones to avoid that will probably save me some money and grief. I don't talk much so I probably won't post much. Thanks for letting me join in.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest of Peoria
    Posts
    4,437

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Welcome, P_elliott.

    Those are all good bourbons you mentioned. Iowa is a control state but judging from what's available just west of the Mississippi River in Davenport, you should be able to get Eagle Rare Single Barrel. That will give you an Idea, through what is referred to as "distillery character", what Buffalo Trace products taste like.

    As my user-name indicates, I'm from the Illinois side of the river. What part of Iowa are you from?

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,460

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Welcome P. There's a wealth of info here. The people are great too. Feel free to post with questions, observations, or whatever, anytime. We're kinda like Motel 6. We'll leave a light on for you. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,606

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Welcome P. There's a wealth of info here. The people are great too. Feel free to post with questions, observations, or whatever, anytime. We're kinda like Motel 6. We'll leave a light on for you. Joe
    Nice welcome Joe.

    Hey PE,
    looks like your making the rounds. Gona get your fill of the bourbon lifestyle.

    You'll find alot more daily bourbon talk here, more than any where else. The group is wonderful at answering questions at any level of bourbonium. So, explore away, good Sir.
    ______________________________

    Jeff Mo.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Welcome, P!

    Looking for suggestions, eh? There's an easy way to see what each member recommends. For example start by clicking on "bluesbassdad" in the area to the left of this post. Select "Public Profile" from the drop-down menu. Scroll down to "Recommendations".

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Welcome, P_elliott.


    As my user-name indicates, I'm from the Illinois side of the river. What part of Iowa are you from?

    I'm originally from the SE corner of Iowa but now live in SW corner.

  7. #7
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Welcome!

    If you're looking for good affordable bourbon, you may find this thread useful:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8142
    -Dan

    Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    345

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    If you're looking for good affordable bourbon, you may find this thread useful:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8142

    "Ooooh...I'm Dan...look how useful I am..."

    Shameless self promoter. Like me telling a student: Excellent question, now go buy my book.

    Just kidding, Dan. I actually dropped some language from your A-C brief in class the other day.


    Welcome, P-E. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as we do! Don't forget to try your allegedly local product, Templeton Rye.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,043

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    "Ooooh...I'm Dan...look how useful I am..."

    Shameless self promoter. Like me telling a student: Excellent question, now go buy my book.

    Just kidding, Dan. I actually dropped some language from your A-C brief in class the other day.


    Welcome, P-E. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as we do! Don't forget to try your allegedly local product, Templeton Rye.

    What do you mean by alledegly??? I have a fellow bourbon drinker at work that also likes rye whiskey and he says it's awful.

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    345

    Re: Hello from Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    What do you mean by alledegly??? I have a fellow bourbon drinker at work that also likes rye whiskey and he says it's awful.
    Chuck Cowdery summarizes the current controversy over Templeton Rye quite well:

    http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/search?q=templeton

    It seems as though the current Templeton is, indeed, a local product. Otherwise, they're also buying used barrels, re-branding them, and selling them at the gift shop.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Happy Holidays from Iowa
    By stillmaster in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-25-2007, 21:46
  2. Top 20 Distilled Spirits Brands in Iowa
    By cowdery in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 20:02
  3. Templeton Rye - Iowa
    By bourbonmed in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 16:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top