Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Do Bourbons Stored In Crocks Have Long Term Storage Issues Or Are They OK?

I am being offered, by a private seller, a bottle of Michters from the mid 1970s that was issued in the crock. I have had some weird dealings with Bourbon packed in crocks before. I get old, flat flavorless liquor, like there has been intrusion of outside air that has allowed some of the nose to leak out. Perhaps this has only happened to me so I am asking if others have had issues with Bourbons stored in crockery in the past. Due to the age of the item being offered to me I want to have an idea of what I am getting into. Any ideas of what a Michters from the mid 70s might be worth and if it is worth picking up? Anything special about it that I ought to know?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Do Bourbons Stored In Crocks Have Long Term Storage Issues Or Are They OK?

Personally I dislike decanters for this exact reason...they're risky. Bad ceramics or faulty corks, poor storage...tons of issues that can make these go bad.

Having said that, I've had some Michter's decanters from that time period that were quite nice.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

But if I taste old whiskey that has been damaged, it more often comes from ceramic than glass. Ceramic was never intended for long term storage and you are much more likely to have damaged whiskey from a ceramic container than from a glass one. Ditto with the closure, a lot more problems from corks than from screw caps. Also, with Michters, the quality of the whiskey they put into decanters varied widely. Sometimes it was very good, sometimes it was crap, so that has to go into the equation too. That said, I have tasted some spectacular whiskey that came out of old Michter's decanters.

Enthusiast

Wow, thanks for this information. These are just the answers I was looking for. The seller informed me he wants to think about a price so I am awaiting his answer. I will approach the transaction with some caution and trepidation but also much interest of what comes. Again, much thanks for all the answers and help to my many questions.