Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Forty Creek Bargain Or Bust?

You have to take Canadian Whisky for what it is and it's not bourbon, but as Canadian Whisky goes I think the Forty Creek products are quite good and that was a terrific bargain. I've never even seen it in the 1.75L.

I bought a bottle last year. I like it. I started out on Canadian whiskies many years ago, before finally "graduating" to bourbon. My favorites were Canadian Club and Crown Royal. I liked sweet and smooth. Now after getting into bourbon, my old favorites are almost too sweet for me. I still keep a bottle of Crown on hand though. IMHO Forty Creek is not as sweet, and has a lot more flavor. A decent whiskey, at a decent price. It usually goes for $17-$18 for a 750 ml around here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I'm having another glass of Barrel Select now. Though I like it, I think I agree with Jim Murray when he said that greater balance is needed by reducing the sherry input. The reason it has more flavour than Crown is that it tastes so heavily of wine. Maybe it loses some of its more subtle elements because of this, but bourbon drinkers aren't really looking for subtlety, after all. Overall I think I prefer Crown Royal but Barrel Select is nice for something different.

Trippah and Admin

My boss and the motorcycle guys that he runs with were all Crown drinkers for years. I passed along a flask of Forty Creek last Spring on a whim for him to try and he's gone totally nuts over it. He's burned through a number of cases of it since then by either giving it away after taking a bottle to a shindig or gifting it outright. He's converting a bunch of Crown drinkers one by one.

I can count 3 others at work who were Crown drinkers and now are all over Forty Creek even though it is tough to come by here in Ohio.

They are all happy that Binny's ships here.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Murray gives Forty Creek Barrel Select 84 points. A big surprise for him was Windsor. He gives it 91 points. I tend to agree with Murray. Windsor is my favorite inexpensive Canadian, and I think it's better than Forty Creek and less expensive.

Connoisseur

Murray also gives 94 points to Special Old, which I thought was fairly horrible. But then he has an admiration for uncompromising rye flavour, which also explains his infatuation with Alberta Premium. Like I said, I agree with him about Barrel Select; tone down the sherry flavour to achieve better balance. Having said that, I'm going to pour myself some Barrel Select

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It's all opinion, of course, but I purchased a mini of this a year or so ago, and could not finish the small pour I took from it. I thought it was dreadful. Maybe, it's better as a mixer, but the only thing it mixed with for me was the trash at the bottom of my wastebasket, when I threw the rest of the bottle away.

Boy, that sounded harsh.
    OK...OK...I can admit when I'm wrong. But, I really didn't like my first shot at this one. But, I have a 1L bottle that was gifted to me, that I've been tippin' into over the last couple of weeks. I admit, I pulled a pretty good "fake smile" when my neighbor gave it to me. I was thinking about my experience I detailed in my previous post. Sooooo, I keep waiting for it to disappoint me, like the mini did. But, I have actually been enjoying it. Believe me, I've been trying not to like it. I just can't help myself. Tonight, it's very nice buttered popcorn and caramel. I can dig it. This is damn fine whisky. Forty Creek is welcome in my bar at any time, and I would proudly pour it to anyone. So, I humbly retract my previous, and sour, opinion.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Novice

As Ive stated on another thread, I couldnt recommend this to anyone. So its cheap in price, Id rather save up for a nicer whiskey. Its got its share of hype and so I was obliged to give it a try. Now I know, its not for me. I recommend Gibsons.

nasdrovya

Gord
    Bourbon- not just for breakfast anymore!

Enthusiast

A had a small pour of this at a tasting years ago and quite liked it. So I bought a bottle. For me, it turned out to be one of those things that is nice in small quantities, but I cannot drink a glass of it. It is very sweet and syrupy to me, I am dying to know what in the process resulted in that.

I did however find an outstanding use for the rest of my bottle. It is truely amazing at pulling the wood out of a too-old whiskey. I mixed it with several vintage bourbons that I thought had far too much age on them. It knocked down the excess wood and gave them some youth.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Apprentice

Forty Creek is one of my favorite Canadian Whiskeys. At the price you found, I would definitely buy a few of the 1.75 bottles. I think it is a good whiskey for what it is, a Canadian Whiskey. It is not a Bourbon, it is not a Scotch. I enjoy all of those styles (along with Irish and Tennessee). Basically I like whiskey. I prefer Forty Creek to Crown Royal but everyone has different tastes.