Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Bourbon with a molasses/honey taste HELP!

I got a jar of "home made" bourbon from a friend who has a relative in Kentucky. Don't really know where it came from. It is WONDERFUL! Problem is I can't get any more. I have been looking for a bourbon with the same characteristics: strong honey/molasses taste and even a very slightly sweet taste...maybe even a bit of caramel? I asked at the local liquor store and was directed to 1792, Makers mark, and Knob creek. I really like the 1792, but it isn't close to the taste. The others have none of the above listed tastes.
    Can anyone here offer some advice?

Guru

Re: Bourbon with a molasses/honey taste HELP!

Get some WLWeller Special Reserve.
    That might be close.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Unfortunately descriptors can be so subjective. Based on your description I'm not surprised you were directed to the ones you mention.

Try Bakers.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by roovelroe View Post
    I got a jar of "home made" bourbon from a friend who has a relative in Kentucky. Don't really know where it came from. It is WONDERFUL! Problem is I can't get any more. I have been looking for a bourbon with the same characteristics: strong honey/molasses taste and even a very slightly sweet taste...maybe even a bit of caramel? I asked at the local liquor store and was directed to 1792, Makers mark, and Knob creek. I really like the 1792, but it isn't close to the taste. The others have none of the above listed tastes.
    Can anyone here offer some advice?
    Welcome to the board. You may wish to introduce yourself in the Newcomer's section.

From your description I assume that the sample you have is actually home made only in the sense that your friend mixed two or more readily available bourbons. We have a few members who love to do that very thing. (Right, Gary? )

If I'm correct, then I predict you will never match the sample exactly. There are an infinte number of possible formulas. Besides, if you continue to drink bourbon regularly, your taste will change.

The only bourbon I can recall in which I have detected a honey flavor is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. However, it was combined with a floral note. Furthermore, different batches of Rare Breed taste slightly different to me.

As for the molasses I believe someone has already mentioned Baker's and Knob Creek, both of which have a trace of a burnt/sweet flavor that one might liken to molasses.

I wonder whether we can entice Gillman into trying to crack the formula. We'll probably have to wait until after the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, though.

BTW many bourbons have a hint of caramel as a natural consequence, so I'm told, of the partial carbonizing of sugars in the char of the white oak barrel. Old Fitzgerald BIB is one such bourbon that stands out in my memory.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 09-19-2008 at 17:19.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

You should probably try Virginia Gentleman - the 90 proof aka "The Fox", not the cheapo 80 proof.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Not sure what is meant by home-made, I assume it is a blend of bourbons and as Dave said, in practice this will be difficult to copy, even if you get the formula. You might try adding a dash of brown sugar or honey to a bourbon you like. Rock Hill Farms tends to be sweet and rich, or Elmer T. Lee. I'd start with one of those (or Jack Daniel Single Barrel).

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My suggestions would be W.L. Weller Special Reserve, or 12-year-old, or Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond.

I'm surprised Gary didn't mention that he and I were just discussing this very thing, a rum-like molasses taste in bourbon.

Gary also is assuming you tasted a home vatting, but if what you tasted was moonshine, the taste likely comes from the table sugar (not grain) base of most contemporary moonshine. If it was dark it probably wasn't aged but rather flavored and colored, and may, as suggested, contain actual molasses, sorghum syrup, or honey.

What some people call "home made" is not from a moonshine base but is simply vodka to which flavorings and colorings has been added. In most home brew stores you can buy bourbon "essence" which, when added to vodka, results in something vaguely similar to real bourbon.
    Last edited by cowdery; 09-24-2008 at 09:37.

I agree with Chuck's bourbon suggestions. If what was tasted was not bourbon, I doubt many of us can help here... If it was based on moonshine and you get the formula, my advice is to buy some corn whiskey and use that as the base, or perhaps vodka (or a combination).

Chuck and I were just talking indeed about bourbons that seem to offer a chocolate/molasses and perhaps rum-like note.

I suspect these tastes are congeners produced by specific yeast types and perhaps are similar to some yeasts used to ferment washes to make dark rum. This bourbon type is not well-represented today in the market.

Gary

Connoisseur

And there is American Honey. (Perhaps too much honey taste?)
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Good suggestion, Dale. Maybe cut it 50/50 or to taste with Russell's Reserve or some other WT bourbon.

Gary