Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Talking Best Bourbon for gift

I always buy my father-in-law a nice bottle as a gift. We both enjoy bourbon. He normally drinks Evan Williams and I always assumed that he bought it due to its price, but he tells me that he thinks it is pretty good. I have bought him Maker's and Woodford in the past, but since he enjoys the EW, should I get him some of the older Evan Williams? I am not in the market for a brand that sells for $3500 bottle, but I want to get something nice. Any input would be welcomed!
    Thanks!

Guru

Re: Best Bourbon for gift

Last edited by Jono; 09-29-2008 at 15:07.

Hello, and welcome to the boards. Just a friendly suggestion, you probably should have posted this under the "New To Straightbourbon" forum. Anyway, I hope you meant $35.00 and not $3500. If he likes Evan Williams that much, I would suggest you spend the few extra bucks, and get him a bottle of the Evan Williams Single Barrel. Otherwise, do a search of the threads here, and you'll find dozens of recommendations for bourbons of all different prices and tastes. Good luck. I hope you find the perfect gift. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

In addition to the other, fine suggestions you might consider other brands produced by the same distiller, Heaven Hill. For example, there's J.T.S. Brown bottled-in-bond (BIB). As noted in another thread two days ago, that's the brand Fast Eddie Felson (Paul Newman) ordered in the movie, "The Hustler" at the start of his match with Minnesota Fats. Henry McKenna is another Heaven Hill brand, one that I happen to have open right now. To my taste it is similar to the basic Evan Williams but with more depth of flavor.

Availability might be a problem, depending on your location.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ezmoneykb View Post
    I always buy my father-in-law a nice bottle as a gift. We both enjoy bourbon. He normally drinks Evan Williams and I always assumed that he bought it due to its price, but he tells me that he thinks it is pretty good. I have bought him Maker's and Woodford in the past, but since he enjoys the EW, should I get him some of the older Evan Williams? I am not in the market for a brand that sells for $3500 bottle, but I want to get something nice. Any input would be welcomed!
    Thanks!
    If you do a little bourbon hunting, you may find some older EW Single Barrel. I'll bet they will go over well. If you use the search function, you should be able to find recommendations as to the better or "best" years.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ezmoneykb View Post
    Thanks!
    It is also good to note your location since bourbon availability changes from state to state.

As a change to the Single Barrel, which I find rather boring....I would say EW 1783 "ole no. 10". It has some older juice mixed in and is either 86 or 90 proof.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

When I gift bourbon to someone, I try and make it connect on some sort of personal or apropos level. Like, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon--if it's a birthday. WT Kentucky Spirit--if they're from Kentucky. George T. Stagg--if they hunt. Old Grandad or Pappy Van Winkle--if they're having a grandchild. The recipients name is on the label (Harper, Williams, Lee, etc.). You get the picture. If I got nuttin' with that plan, I go with Four Roses Single Barrel, because it has a nice bottle, has a great story behind it, it's hard to get, and everyone--including non-bourbon drinkers--seems to love it.

Good Luck!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I suggest Elijah Craig 12.

Both EW and EC12 are from Heaven Hill.

It has got a similar overall profile to EW, just with more age, sweetness, and character. I love both, but I always keep EC12 on hand.

By the way...stay FAAAAR away from EC18. It's a whole different animal. I'm guessing a EW drinker would NOT like EC18.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut