Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Woodford Reserve question

Gotta agree there Rob. That Gran Legacy bourbon leaves a lot to be desired. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

One thing I would say about Woodford Reserve is that it's not really for us, although it is for people who might someday become us, but right now they want an easy-to-drink bourbon that hits the right image buttons for them and that's about it. They're not going on web sites to find new bourbons to try.

But give credit where credit is due. Brown-Forman created a very successful bourbon out of nothing, without many false starts. I'm sure there are a lot of other drinks companies scratching their heads and wondering how they did it.

One thing they did, which they are very good at, was make everything work together. Kentucky has a culture...a couple of them, actually. One is that affluent horsey golfy thing around Lexington. It has a look, a vibe, a palate. That's Woodford Reserve. Just like people all over the world buy into Jack Daniel's and the whole Lynchburg gestalt, Woodford has captured the whole thing again with Lexington-area horse set culture.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-01-2008 at 22:54.

Enthusiast

The drive through their horse farm on the way to the distillery sort of sets the mood for when you get out of the car. I was taking the gat out of the pocket of my faded shorts in their parking lot and I suddenly felt very underdressed as I saw the look of the other folks walking in the door. Still, despite the $5 tour charge I still think it was wonderful and not to be missed....although I would have liked another little blast of the juice to confirm what I was tasting. I took care of that down the road at a local purveyor of liquid refreshments.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Even though you weren't complaining, I always like to point out why they do the $5 charge. Because they are in such a heavily-touristed area, with the horse farms, they were getting lots of tour groups (i.e., buses) that didn't really want to be there, but the tour operator put it on the itinerary because it was free. They would try to give this nice tour, but 3/4 of the people wouldn't be interested. They put the fee in and all of that stopped.

Advanced Taster

Smile Re: Woodford Reserve question

A quite few years ago my wife got me a bottle or WR on a trip to Tenessee to see her family. At the time I was new to bourbon and really only had much experience with JD (I know, but it is whiskey!!!). At the time I thought I had found God, in time my tastes moved away from the lighter tasting bourbons but it was WR that started me down the path. Now I'm a big fan of much of the Wild Turkey line with RB being my goto bottle. So, treeguy, with your tastes being much the same as mine I can't see this being a favorite for you either, but it is a good bourbon and it is worth experiencing at least once.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"