Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hello!

Novice

Hello!

Hello everyone, checking in from Maryland. I am new to good bourbons but I am slowly trying some better ones as I can afford them. Thought I would join here to learn more and get ideas of what to try next! - Chris

Re: Hello!

Hi Chris, and welcome. If you want to learn more about bourbon, this is the place. It's all good here. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarman Chris View Post
    Hello everyone, checking in from Maryland. I am new to good bourbons but I am slowly trying some better ones as I can afford them. Thought I would join here to learn more and get ideas of what to try next! - Chris
    Chris,

Welcome aboard!

In my few years of trying this and that I've found very few bourbons that I wouldn't drink again. I've also found it impossible to predict what my favorites will be based on the opinions of others.

In one instructive case a certain gentleman (and self-proclaimed bourbon connoisseur ) from Alabama and I found common ground as fans of several bottlings from Wild Turkey. Then we agreed on Rock Hill Farms from Buffalo Trace. However, RHF's stable mate, Blanton's doesn't do a thing for me (especially not at a price around $50), and he puts it on a par with RHF.

That discovery finally convinced me not to take anyone's word for what I will and won't like. Nevertheless, what's a newcomer to do? Maybe it's OK to use others' opinions as a guide as to the order in which to try what's available; sooner or later you'll probably want to try everything you can get your hands on.

One handy feature here is that each member's public profile provides a place to list favorite bottlings. For example, to the left of this post click on bluesbassdad, then click on View Public Profile. Scroll down a bit, and you'll see what I considered to be my favorites a while back. I've revised this list a few times; it may be time to do so again.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarman Chris View Post
    Chris,

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy learning as much as we enjoy teaching!

My advice: go buy three to four bourbons under twenty dollars. Just buy whatever strikes your fancy. Ugly labels often hide good booze. Buy pints if you can (under $11 a pint, I guess) or airline bottles. Find out what you like and don't like, then post your findings here. I'm sure people will have plenty of suggestions on what to try next.

Generally, you can't go wrong with 100 proof anything. At least I haven't found a bad one yet!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut