Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Autumn inspired whiskeys

Since this is the off topic forum: In addition to your favorite Bourbons, what Scotch/Irish/Canadian whiskey do you reach for with the cool evening air and smell of smoke wafting on the breeze...after a hard day of yardwork? For me, I prefer Macallan 12 (18 if I splurge), Bushmills Black Bush, Talisker. I need to pick up some full bodied bourbon....KY Spirit etc. Currently, I have Buff Tr, Woodford, Weller Reserve.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Foreign whiskeys?????

ACK!!! How did this get here?????? After much soul searching Jim {Good King Butler} decided to provide a forum for you @#$%^**&!!! sc**chies. May the Saints preserve us all! After seeing how pitiful the sc**ch forums were => so snooty and restrictive; pretensious and just slightly more dead than Stalin, and about as much fun as Castro it became clear just why so many sc**chies wanted to join the fun at StraightBourbon.Com We are the fun bunch. All sc**th sucks allof the time. Enjoy!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Congratulations! All you Sc####h heads have finally got what you want! so where the hell are you guys and gals ? I will check this section of the forum for it's clean wit , pretentiousness, and cutting edge drivel. If I ever forget how ti roll my eyes around my head this spot will keep me in practice.

Enthusiast

Re: Autumn inspired whiskeys

Well, I can see THIS is going to be an interesting forum.

I'm not sure if these are "Autumn inspired", but some of my non-US favorates would be: Redbreast Irish, Bush Pilot's Canadian and Longrow Single Malt Scotch.

I like your choices too.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Inspired whiskeys

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well, I can see THIS is going to be an interesting forum.

[/QUOTE]

Actually John I think it will. I've gotten my one obligatory obnoxiously offensive rude comment out of the way so I'll not have to do that again. This new forum gives you and other forum members that just happen like foreign whiskies a place you can talk openly without having to 'sneek' a little sc**ch talk into your other posts.

Advanced Taster

It's funny to me how many people still see fall and winter as the "whiskey drinking seasons." The idea of drinking scotch/bourbon/etc. in the summer seems strange to them. Me? Hell, I'll be damned if I let 90+ degree temps stop me from having a snort

So, to sort of answer your question, I drink a lot of different whiskies all year round. Fave scotch single malts include Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Highland Park. My top drops o' Irish include Redbreast, Connemara and (when a little extra cabbage comes my way) Jameson 15yo Pure Pot Still and Midleton Very Rare.

Unfortunately, Talisker in no longer available on PA state store shelves You can only get it through special order at about $55

(Good God! What a boring post! Maybe Linn's right. Too much scotch, not enough bourbon in my diet )

SpeedyJohn

**DONOTDELETE**

Fear not Speedy. Build it and they will come. Enjoy your new found freedom and tell your friends.

Guru

Gee, whenever I want a fun filled response just post here! Actually, I don't understand why people have to be IN ONE GROUP vs THE OTHER. I like apple pie, that does not mean I snub pumpkin. Taste is individual and no pretensions are implied. The world is one great drink and food sensation so find what you like and spread the word. "Can't we all just get along" quoting Rodney King. My point about season is not that I do not drink whiskey / whisky all year, it is just that my selection is sometimes governed by environmental influences...but, if these things don't affect you...great! Now, off to the Tolkien discussion!

Guru

I wish I could find Redbreast...will have to check out the Duty Free shops on my rare travels.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Jono, I was attempting to be funny, It's your wallet and your tastebuds if scotch is your fancy then go for it. My experience with scotch is very limited and I think I will keep it that way . I really don't care for any that I have had. Likewise with gin and Brandy. well the brandy might work out . I just find a rut that I'm comfortable with and stay in it ,for me it's Bourbon and Beer. Anyway it appears that one could really spend some hard cash chasing the elusive perfect bottle of scotch, and bourbon as well but it seems that scotch runs a little to the high side I guess trans Atlantic shipping costs are up.
    Back to your first point I think the seasons do affect the brands and expressions of them but I really haven't given it much thought , Bourbon fits Autumn as much as a football game or one of those crisp blue sky days of October. And always in winter I think I reach for something with a little heat in it. I have heard that drinking alcohol in the winter actually causes one to dissapate body heat .