Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Bourbon as a base spirit.

I searched around a bit, but couldn't seem to find this topic covered quite in the way I'm asking. So, cocktails that employ Bourbon as a base spirit, what Bourbons do you use in what drinks and why?
    LifeEpicurean.com | What We Are Meant to Live For

Apprentice

Re: Bourbon as a base spirit.

For a Mint Julep, I turn to Maker's Mark. I feel Maker's adds just the right amount of sweetness and I feel less bad clouding its taste than say I would with a more premium bourbon.

I take my Manhattans with Woodford Reserve. Couldn't really tell you the specifics why, it just works for my tastes.

However, my Bourbon cocktail of choice is the Old Fashioned. All of the additional ingredients are there to compliment and season the Bourbon, never marring its original flavor. With these, I really love Booker's, but will take any of the higher proof premiums as well.

Beyond that, I generally prefer to take my Bourbon neat or with a splash.

Guru

I never was a cocktail guy.
    I always drank my whiskey/whisky on the rocks until a few years ago when I started to appreciate it neat.

But I'm sure there are a lot of members here that can suggest the right bourbon for a particular cocktail.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I tend to use an inexpensive bond for most cocktails, such as JTS Brown BIB, VOB BIB, or Rittenhouse Rye BIB. I often prefer rye for whiskey cocktails over bourbon. In all cases I like something with a lot of flavor that will cut through the other ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...I often prefer rye for whiskey cocktails over bourbon...
    Well said -- otherwise, my bourbon 'mixed drinks' generally consist of rye-recipe with ginger ale, and wheater with cola.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I use my own blend of bourbons only, bourbons and rye, and sometimes either of the latter and some Canadian. I find I get a complex, smoother result by using numerous whiskeys than one. I taste it first to make sure it is right, if it isn't, I'll adjust it. Last night I had a Manhattan made this way with just a capful of vermouth. When you use good aged bourbons, you don't need too much vermouth, but using some imparts the right winy note. I drank it slowly over 2 hours.

Gary

Apprentice

Since I'm seeing a lot of you mention Rye Whiskey, what Rye would make a really great Sazerac?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Oswald View Post
    Since I'm seeing a lot of you mention Rye Whiskey, what Rye would make a really great Sazerac?
    Sazerac!

It's a great 6 or so year old rye from Buffalo Trace.

Roger

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Sazerac!

It's a great 6 or so year old rye from Buffalo Trace.

Roger
    That's what I was going to purchase by default because, well, the drink was named after the Rye (or was it vice versa?).

Virtuoso

I have made my Sazeracs with 6 yr Sazerac and thought it was a really good cocktail. I have been told the Absinth used is important - I used a substitute and it was still good.

I have used Van Winkle Rye for my Manhattans for years and it makes a mighty fine one - Manhattans are something of a hobby and the VW 13 Rye makes my favorite. It's biggest draw back is that it is impossible to find in bars - in fact any Rye is hard to find. I default to JD Black because it is common and makes an OK cocktail.

The first Manhattan with Bourbon that I really LOVED was the one I made last week - a slight variation of the "Perfect Manhattan" recipe that I found on the Four Roses web site using FRSB. I used 3 oz (or a touch more) rather than the 2.5 recommended. A light delightful cocktail.