Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Bourbon as a base spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Oswald View Post
    ...However, my Bourbon cocktail of choice is the Old Fashioned. All of the additional ingredients are there to compliment and season the Bourbon, never marring its original flavor. With these, I really love Booker's, but will take any of the higher proof premiums as well.

Beyond that, I generally prefer to take my Bourbon neat or with a splash.
    I still drink Manhattans on occasion but I find myself drinking Old Fashioneds more and more. Your point about "never marring its original flavor" is spot on.

I prefer rye Old Fashioneds but have experimented with bourbons too. I find Weller Antique makes a fine Old Fashioned. I use a drop of Angostora bitters and several drops of Fee Brothers. Fee brothers has a more Christmas spice character.

My typical recipe is as follows:
    • 2 1/2 ounces whiskey
    • one tea spoon sugar
    • one tea spoon water
    • four/five drops bitters; one of Angostora and three or four Fee brothers
    • one slightly molested orange slice
    • one maraschino cherry
    First I add the sugar, bitters and water, give that a stir to dissolve the sugar. Then I add the orange slice and slightly molest it in the sugar/bitters mixture, not too much though, full on muddling will release too much juice. Then I add some ice and the cherry and give it a stir.

What's your recipe/procedure?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Ditto amount of whiskey (any American or Canadian kind if it tastes good). I use maple syrup for the sweet element. Coming as it does from a tree, I find it complements whiskey drinks. Usually Angostura or Peychaud and orange bitters go in. I do not use an orange slice although this would go well it, but orange bitters supplies a similar flavour (you could use a bit of triple sec too). No cherry, I use that in Manhattans sometimes. I just stir it well and serve, sometimes on ice, sometimes not. I agree with the insight that the whiskey character is preserved, and it is a classic preparation.

Gary

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I still drink Manhattans on occasion but I find myself drinking Old Fashioneds more and more. Your point about "never marring its original flavor" is spot on.

I prefer rye Old Fashioneds but have experimented with bourbons too. I find Weller Antique makes a fine Old Fashioned. I use a drop of Angostora bitters and several drops of Fee Brothers. Fee brothers has a more Christmas spice character.

My typical recipe is as follows:
    • 2 1/2 ounces whiskey
    • one tea spoon sugar
    • one tea spoon water
    • four/five drops bitters; one of Angostora and three or four Fee brothers
    • one slightly molested orange slice
    • one maraschino cherry
    First I add the sugar, bitters and water, give that a stir to dissolve the sugar. Then I add the orange slice and slightly molest it in the sugar/bitters mixture, not too much though, full on muddling will release too much juice. Then I add some ice and the cherry and give it a stir.

What's your recipe/procedure?
    Very nice. Around the time I originally posted this thread, I wrote an article on the Old Fashioned, outlining its history a bit and providing a pretty definitive recipe for it.

As "definitive" as the recipe I gave in that article is, I actually make my own a little differently. My approach to cocktails is very much an ode to the classics, but at the same time progressing and perfecting them.

My personal recipe is:
    • 3 parts Booker's
    • 1 part Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters
    • 1 sugar cube
    • Orange zest
    Beginning with an Old Fashioned glass or lowball, I start with the sugar cube and bitters and stir to dissolve. Add ice. Pour in the Booker's. And then -- this is one of my tricks -- I will slice the orange zest over the drink allowing for all those beautiful oils and floral zest to fall into it, give the rine a good twist and then use that as a garnish.

I used to go the muddled orange and cherry route, and still do on occasion (sans cherry), but prefer the above method for my own drink. When I do muddle, I usually strain out the fruit -- mostly because I don't like the look of its carcass in my drink. That's just a personal hang up, though.
    LifeEpicurean.com | What We Are Meant to Live For