Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Inexpensive, tasty 100 proof bourbon?

I live in Ohio, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some good, inexpensive bourbons? I usually try to get something with more than 40% alcohol. I've tried, and really enjoy, evan williams (regular and single barrel), elija creig, old grand dad, wild turkey russel's reserve and rare breed. And a few others. I'm looking for something around or under 20 dollars, i saw old forrester 100 proof online for around this price but i haven't been able to find it this low in any stores. Any suggestions? Maybe some ofyour favorite inexpensive bourbonS?

Guru

Re: Inexpensive, tasty 100 proof bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by DJCRLS View Post
    I live in Ohio, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some good, inexpensive bourbons? I usually try to get something with more than 40% alcohol. I've tried, and really enjoy, evan williams (regular and single barrel), elija creig, old grand dad, wild turkey russel's reserve and rare breed. And a few others. I'm looking for something around or under 20 dollars, i saw old forrester 100 proof online for around this price but i haven't been able to find it this low in any stores. Any suggestions? Maybe some ofyour favorite inexpensive bourbonS?
    Regional variations in prices introduce some uncertainty here.

As of 2004, when I left CA, Wild Turkey 101 was seldom more than $18. Rite-Aid often put it on sale for $12.99. Yes, $12.99. Perhaps the price there has now risen to the $22 range, as it is here in central Arizona. I don't know.

One bourbon worth trying, if it meets your price criterion in OH, is Old Fitzgerald BIB. I've had a love/hate relationship with it, but on a good day it reminds me of 100 proof caramel corn.

I'm not a big fan of Old Forester BIB, but many here are. Notwithstanding, a few years ago I liked it better than Woodford Reserve in a blind tasting.
    '
    Do you ever make trips into Kentucky? Your choices would be much greater there.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast

Anything from Heaven Hill. Their 4,6, and 10 year old BIB's range from $7 to $13 or so. Good stuff.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DJCRLS View Post
    I don't know what it runs in your area but I am very fond of Buffalo Trace. I also recommend, if you liked the Old Grand Dad, the OGD BIB. Knob Creek and Old Weller Antique 107 might also be to your liking.
    "You can't bluff an idiot." T. J. Cloutier

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
    I don't know what it runs in your area but I am very fond of Buffalo Trace. I also recommend, if you liked the Old Grand Dad, the OGD BIB. Knob Creek and Old Weller Antique 107 might also be to your liking.
    Here in central Arizona Knob Creek is around $30. Here's hoping it's under $20 in Ohio, but I doubt it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

OGD BIB or WT101 are my top picks in this category
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Disciple

VOB BIB., is my favorite in that range. 11.99 in Chicago.

Guru

Try J.W. Dant BiB. Dirt cheap in Kentucky and the DSP-Ky-31's are good. Or J.T.S. Brown BiB - $11.39 a liter in Kentucky and decent whiskey.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

I can almost write a song:

Wheennnn yooooouuu buy one 23 Pappy
    and ten VOBs
    That's Amortization

Seriously, though, you can spread the overall expense if you buy one "special" bottling (say a Forester Birthday) and a few high proof high quality low price bourbons together. Just one more thing to love about the world of bourbon and rye.

Connoisseur

I also give my vote to JTS Brown & VOB bibs.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor