Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Inexpensive, tasty 100 proof bourbon?

I also give my vote to JTS Brown & VOB bibs.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Buy any Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey that says either "bonded" or "bottled in bond" on the label and I bet you will be happy with it.

Connoisseur

If they have it in your area, try Estate Bottled Old Bardstown. It's 10 year old 101 proof. It is good sour mash Kentucky straight bourbon. It's not expensive in my neighborhood.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Enthusiast

As far as inexpensive you cannot go wrong with some of the bigger name brands like Wild Turkey or Old Grand Dad. These are solid Bourbons that have the attraction of being widely available and moderately priced.

My suggestion is you will expand your choices greatly if you expand your requirements to allow for 90 proof whiskey. There are so many great 90 proof Bourbons that you will be greatly rewarded with an examination in that direction.

Advanced Taster

Rowan's Creek would be a good choice.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Buy any Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey that says either "bonded" or "bottled in bond" on the label and I bet you will be happy with it.
    That's how I got started on this dusty trail. I turned 21 in 1986, and at the time I'd come into a bunch of magazines from the 1940s and 1950s. Most of these had ads for whiskey in various forms, and the whole "Bottled In Bond" concept seemed to be a hallmark of quality. Thus, when I first began buying bourbon, I started off with some of those very BiB brands I'd seen advertised: Old Forester, Old Fitz, Old Grand-Dad, Old Taylor.

A friend of mine who was also a bartender jokingly referred to these old Bonded brands as "WW II Veteran's Whiskey". Drinking them was definitely declasse at the time. Now it's hip and retro.

Enthusiast

It's too late for me to edit my post above, so I'll add it here: Most of these bourbons that I was buying 20 years ago cost around $7-9 at the time. Most of these same bottlings are going today for $12-14, which according to the Westegg inflation calculator is just about what $7-9 bought back then, so overall the basic BiB expressions haven't really gone up in price, when that gets factored in.

Guru

If you can get soem Old #8 or old 8 yr WT101s... that is some great drinking. The newer 101 is not as good, but is not bad either... if you are lucky enough to find any of the 1992/3 or older 101... do a comparison...

Trippah and Admin

Everyone has made wonderful suggestions for inexpensive bourbons, but the one issue is that most/all of them are not available in Ohio.

Take a quick glance at the Ohio list that I posted the link to and you'll see that there's an absence of many of the quality inexpensive labels here.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Scott, I was interested in the number American whiskeys (blends) on the market in your State. What is the local market for these as far as you know, is it for whiskey and Coke, say?

Could the blends mostly be purchased by restaurants and bars for well whiskey?

Do buyers of blends regard them as the same as bourbon but less expensive, or as something different?

I guess these questions could be asked of anywhere in the States but there seemed a larger-than-usual number of blends available and that Canadian whiskies have not usurped the ground these have held (at least in number of brands offered).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-05-2008 at 17:07.