Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Hello from Chicago suburbs

Can't tell you how excited I was to find this web site. I've really enjoyed browsing the forum and have learned a TON from reading your posts. Thanks to all for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of bourbon.

Just a few words about myself and how I came to seek you folks out in the first place: I grew up in New York (Queens and Long Island) but have been living in the western suburbs of Chicago for the last ten years with my English wife and two small children. I had the good fortune to live in Kent, England for two years in the late nineties and was able to indulge my passion for English (and Belgian) ale, as well as quaff many fine single malts with my relatives in Scotland. I am a fanatical record collector with a particular interest in blues, jazz, soul, reggae and sixties/seventies rock. These days I spend my time as a freelance writer and stay-at-home dad, the latter being quite rewarding but enough to occasionally drive me to drink--bourbon!

My experience drinking Kentucky whiskey was limited to the odd shot of Jim Beam or Wild Turkey back in my college days twenty-five years ago, usually while drinking waaay too much beer to appreciate the flavor of the bourbon. But then a miraculous thing happened this summer: I started having the occasional evening drink with an elderly neighbor of mine who absolutely loves his single malts. One evening he handed me a snifter and asked me to try something new and I was absolutely blown away by the flavor and aroma of what I drank--Wild Turkey Rare Breed! I've been a bourbon hound from that day forward, having invested in no less than thirty different bottles on the advice of my friend and the many fine recommendations I've found on this site. (Sijan's list of fine affordable bourbons was particularly useful, though I should warn him that my wife has a bounty on his head due to the money spent after reading his post.)

I'm really loving the whole Weller line, Old Rip Van Winkle and all the various Wild Turkey products. More on that later, folks. Thanks again for all the info and friendly discourse and please accept my apology for the long-winded introduction.

Guru

Re: Hello from Chicago suburbs

Great to hear from you! Another new bourbonian in the Chicago area.
    I am north of you in McHenry. I can just imagine your wife and your new found hobby! I created my collection partly by stealth and partly by gift. Picking up the occasional bottle now and again...getting one for Christmas etc. and pretty soon you have a nice start. It at least keeps you home...for the most part.

UncleBunk..."Uncle Buck" ...great movie in a suburban Chicago setting.
    Last edited by Jono; 10-03-2008 at 17:47.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome, Unclebunk! Thank you for that terrific intro. Thirty bottles in just a few months. Impressive! Well, now that you're hanging out around here, it's just going to get better. Or, worse if you ask your wife. Again, welcome aboard, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the site.

PS: If you really want to get a free reign on your bourbon buying, get your wife to get into a debate with Sijan. I guarantee, that within 24 hours she will not only cancel the bounty, but he'll have her buying your bourbon for you!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Thanks for the warm welcome. My thinking behind buying so many bottles in a few short months was that it would allow me to do direct taste comparisons between various bourbons based upon age, proof, wheat/rye, etc. It certainly took my wife by surprise but my explanation was simply that she spends the same amount of money on wine and spirits one bottle at a time over the course of a year, whereas I bought my stockpile up front and now will have little to buy for quite some time. Seems reasonable to me!

Really enjoying Very Old Barton 100 proof at the moment, as well as the Elijah Craig 18 year old which I see gets rather a mixed response from some folks here. I happen to love it and find it unique among the various bourbons I've sampled.

By the way, I found several bottles of Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof with older labels at a local liquor store. Are these worth getting? They have a paper strip over the cap but no date anywhere that I can see. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome Unclebunk, It's great to have another member from Illinois. Rockford here. Hope you enjoy the site. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"