Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    As you know last Saturday I got the Willett 27yo 138.6 proof.
    Today I recieved it's California cousin,...

Willlett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel
    25 years old
    90.2 proof
    Bottle No. 29 of 96
    Barrel No. 8
    Warehouse C
    Rick N2

Also,
    2 Wild Turkey Old No. 8
    101 proof
    Bottled 5-18-92

Cookie Spun me a good one!!
    Dats gud bourbon... drinky happy my friend

Connoisseur

They finally got Weller Antique back in stock, it's been months since I've been able to buy this which is a shame because it was a regular pour for me. Anyway, the store is now back to being out of stock of Weller Antique. :] If only they could get the Rittenhouse BIB back in...
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Advanced Taster

Cool Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

While I have been drinking bourbon most all of my life... I just started paying serious attention to it over the past couple of years. I guess that since I have always been around it I have taken it for granted. What a shame... I wasted a lot of years!

When I did start paying attention I started buy a lot of the mid shelf bourbons like Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace and the like which are all great. However, I keep reading from folks that there are a lot of high quality bourbons that are real bargains at their low-end price point.

So today while I was out and about I stopped by the Liquor Barn and fondled the bottles for a hour or so and started looking at a lot of the Bottled in Bond bourbons. I brought home a Very Old Barton BIB and an Old Grandad BIB to give them a try. I like bourbons in the 100 proof range so I can't wait to give these a try. Hopefully a little later tonight... I was shocked at how inexpensive these were. I think I paid eleven something for the VOB and thirteen for the Old Grandad.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Today I picked up a couple of bottles of Evan Williams 97 Single Barrel and a Four Roses 120th

Advanced Taster

Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom

Guru

Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom
    Tom,

That must have been Denny's Liquors in Key Largo. Interesting place. I picked up an older bottle (1980s) of Old Charter from him a few weeks back. It sure turned out to be quite nice for the price.

Virtuoso

This week I have acquired:

ER17 2002
    EWSB 1992
    3 OCPR Louisville
    wtrr101
    WTRB 1999
    OFBB 2005

A pretty good week !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...
    Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.
    You would like this 1968 stuff. Very nice. very dark for an 86 proof with a lt of depth... very pleasing... This 10/86 is as dark ad my Centennial 13/100..