Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

Yeah, that's me (bourbon glass in hand, out of range) at the tailgate! You still gotta poke your head in one of these weeks...

Disciple

Today via USPS, from one OVH of the MBH ,via the 517, OF Repeal, AAA10 Party Source SB and FR Mariage, originating from Ky. but now residing in my bourbon heaven. Cheers!

Thomas

Virtuoso

I found an Old Charter Classic 90 from Louisville, a 1.75 Old Fitz BIB, DSP 16 and a couple 1994 EWSB's.

I walked away from several 1.75's and liters of Wild Turkey 80 from 1990. I'm not sure I would enjoy the 80 proof version !!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Connoisseur

Van Winkle Lot B, and an Eagle Rare 17.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Advanced Taster

Picked up the Old Forester Repeal set for $23.99. Still hurting over the the failure of the BTAC '08 to appear, but the OF ought to be good for the pain.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Enthusiast

Went to a local ABC to see if the BTAC had arrived yet. No such luck. But as I was checking out the stock locked in one of the cabinets, I noticed 6 bottles of Weller Centennial, marked at $30.99 each. The one in the back had the gold foil and I thought it may be non-Frankfort bottlings I've been looking out for. I asked the guy behind the counter to open it up for me and the gold foil was just like the rest of them - no luck there. BUT...

I figured I may as well pick one up as my supply is getting low, so I proceeded to check out. When he scanned the bottle, it came up $16.99. I looked at the total and said "I don't think that's right. You may want to scan that again." He cleared out the previous price, scanned it in again and VOILA - $16.99 again! He smiled and said "Guess it's your lucky day. $16.99 it is."

I decided not to tempt fate and go back and purchase the other 5 bottles, for fear they might scan at the correct price.
    ____
    Chris

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

Quote Originally Posted by chilidawg7 View Post
    Went to a local ABC to see if the BTAC had arrived yet. No such luck. But as I was checking out the stock locked in one of the cabinets, I noticed 6 bottles of Weller Centennial, marked at $30.99 each. The one in the back had the gold foil and I thought it may be non-Frankfort bottlings I've been looking out for. I asked the guy behind the counter to open it up for me and the gold foil was just like the rest of them - no luck there. BUT...

I figured I may as well pick one up as my supply is getting low, so I proceeded to check out. When he scanned the bottle, it came up $16.99. I looked at the total and said "I don't think that's right. You may want to scan that again." He cleared out the previous price, scanned it in again and VOILA - $16.99 again! He smiled and said "Guess it's your lucky day. $16.99 it is."

I decided not to tempt fate and go back and purchase the other 5 bottles, for fear they might scan at the correct price.
    Pretty nice, Chili!
    I've had the same type of experience on at least two occasions. I know the feeling you get when you think you should go back and get the rest, but fear that they will come up too high, or you'll lose the great price on the original. Oh, the torments of Bourbonia!
    I would go back each day, and get one at a time. You're already ahead of the game. If you get hit for $30.99, it's what you expected, but you still have the $16.99 one in the bank. But, the Grand Slam is if you get ALL for $16.99. That, to me, would be a must do for this great whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Nice find, chilidawg7.
    I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with some ORVW 10/107 that was marked $12.99 on the shelf. I asked the guy if it was right, and he insisted it was.

Virtuoso

Picked up one WLW '2008, 3x ORVW 10/107, and 2x VSOF.... a haul of favorites
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Apprentice

Talking Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

I don't recall what web site I was on, but I read that the Van Winkle's recently released a batch of bourbon. I checked on my state's liquor control commission web site to see if they had recently received any of the Van Winkle bourbons. To my surprise, and I shouldn't have been, the state warehouse was already out of stock on all of the Van Winkle bourbons that they had ordered:
    Old Rip Van Winkle 107 10yr, Van Winkle 12yr, Van Winkle Rye 13yr, Pappy Van Winkle's 107 15yr, and Pappy Van Winkle's 20yr.

I began making phone calls, but I was coming up with, "I just sold the last bottle on Friday or Saturday." The funny thing is, everyone told me that they had received their Van Winkle order on Tuesday, meaning that their Van Winkle inventory may have lasted a whopping 4 or 5 days!!!

A couple of liquor stores had a bottle or 2 of the 20 year bourbon, but I wanted a bottle of Old Rip, so that I could compare it to Old Weller Antique.

On my 9th liquor store, and I was getting desperate, I was answered with, "I have 1 bottle left!" I told the proprietor that I was only half an hour away and I was headed for the car!!!!!

This store had also received a small allotment of Van Winkle bourbons on Tuesday, Oct 28, and now has only 1 bottle of the 20yr bourbon remaining!

I am now home with my newly aquired bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 107 bourbon, haven't opened it yet. Still trying to catch my breath!

I forgot to mention that Old Rip 107 sold here in Oregon for $36 and Old Weller sells for $20.

What's Old Rip going for in your area?
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!