Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

Picked up an ER17 as a gift for a neighbor. While I was there I also got a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Sweet Mash (WR SM?).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Don't be fooled by sales guys at the store that have no idea of what you are talking Rob. The 2008 BTAC has not made it to Michigan yet and will not be on our shelves for another couple weeks. Then you can get your 2008 stuff for the bunker.

One of the VA boy's (Greg maybe) Loves the 1995 EWSB so I would not worry about you pick ups there 94 is very good as well.

Cheers!
    Tony
    Thanks guys!

I am a little surprised that the guys at Grape Vine didn't know about the BTAC. I kinda had them pegged as a little more in-the-loop than most. Oh well, had I received accurate info about the 2008 release, I'd have put that $120 towards some other bottles.

Live and learn, I suppose...I need to bring a proof list next time, so I can be sure what I'm handed before I make my way to checkout.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I think these are pretty good prices..what do you think?

Old Overhold Rye... $10.49
    Old Weller 107......$15.99
    Wathen's SB.,....$24.99
    I think so too. I'm pretty sure that in my area Weller 107 can't be had for less than $20, I seldom see Wathen's around but the few times I have it was around $35, iirc. As for the OO, a couple of dollars less than what I've seen it for but I'm really not a fan of that one so I don't look for it.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

well, there it was and i've never had it before. a bottle of GEORGE DICKEL no. 12.....there was dust on it, but not sure if it's old...

and a small bottle of Evan Williams 7 year...so i could at least say i know what it tastes like....
    HUP!

Connoisseur

A buddy of mine just returned from a trip to TN. and brought me back a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. That's a nice treat I look forward to opening!
    I had another buddy who just got back from Thailand, he brought me a bottle of Thai Whiskey of some type. The label is all in Thai so I have no clue exactly what it is.
    A little search turned up that it is Mee Khong Whiskey...pretty rough stuff...
    A couple nice Liquid surprises.

Last edited by T47; 11-02-2008 at 19:26.
    Todd

Taster

Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.

Virtuoso

Last week bought two bottles of PVW 13 rye to try and another bottle of the PVW15 just because, hahaha. The PVW 13 rye is definitely as good as everyone is saying and on par with all the premium van winkle lineup that I love and drink mostly. Also bought the ORVW10-107 to try as a daily pour since my PVW15 and GTS are draining way too fast as a daily pour.

Today, I picked up three bottles of George Stagg 2008 and 1 bottle of the Eagle Rare 17. This is perfect since I just finish up my GTS07 bottle. I'm also excited to try the ER17 as I have not tried it before and read some good review for the 2008 release. I haven't seen any notes on the 2008 GTS or ER17 on SB.com yet I think and was wondering if anyone tried them yet?

Cheers
    --Hugh
    Last edited by tigerlam92; 11-03-2008 at 12:54.

Guru

I picked up two Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf, that's 8 in the bunker, it should hold me until the Spring release.
    ovh

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze67 View Post
    Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.
    Forget "might", I did. Added another 4 sets, even though one was on its back, which makes me wonder about the cork? Not sure how long it'd been like that or how long a cork can hold up doused with 101-proof alcohol. If the cork ends up ok, I got six bottles and 12 rocks glasses for the state minimum for five bottles. Good enough for me.

I did pass a different display in the store where they were all marked $20.99. I wonder if the cheaper ones were from a prior year...

Virtuoso

Nice job Rob! I love it when you can find whiskey for less than state min! Oh I should mention, nice new avatar! I think I know that guy!

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"