Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Whiskey in New Orleans

I'm on holiday from the UK for a few days in New Orleans. I was here 6 months ago and found a great shop that stocked Stagg, Elijah Craig 18, Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18... Imagine my sadness when I returned yesterday to stock up on such goodies only to find it now sells Makers Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Woodford Reserve, and anything else that's easy to get back home**

So can anyone help me - do you know anywhere in New Orleans that sells something interesting?

Treacle

** I'm not saying those bourbons are dull, just easily accessible to me without me buying a plane ticket.

Guru

Re: Whiskey in New Orleans

Intresting yes, Bourbon no... go get some of New Orlean's local made rum... and tour their place...

Check out Martin's Wine on Magazine St or Veterian's Highway. From the Quarter I would go to Magazine. Always something interesting from Armangac to grappa to whiskey. Enjoy Tim

Advanced Taster

Yeah, check out Martin's just off Veterans Memorial Blvd in Metairie. A month or so ago I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace there as well as a W. L. Weller, 12 y/o 90 proof. They had some Pappy 20 on hand and offered to bring in some Pappy 15 and or 23 for me from Baton Rouge, but I didn't have the couple of days it would take so missed out. I recall seeing some Eagle Rare 10 and Elijah Craig 12 among the usual stuff. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Mark

Advanced Taster

The folks at either Martin's location (I would also recommend Magazine - ask for the assistant manager, who will definitely help you out). Great selection and help!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Novice

Well I rang Martins in Metairie and they said they didn't have anything in stock that I was after. But I did visit the rum distillery. Didn't buy a bottle, because of the limits to what I could bring back home, although I liked the 10yo very much. And the head distiller (who ran a great tour) suggested I try Dorignac's in Metairie for whiskey. So I came home with:
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Eagle Rare 10yo
    Elijah Craig 18yo
    George T Stagg
    And from Vieux Carre Wine & Spirits on Chartres I bought Rock Hill Farms
    So I just wanted to update this and say thanks for the suggestions

Guru

Sounds like a gerat trip...

Nice buys Treacle. Excellent choices. I hope they will hold you in good stead for a little while. (At least until your next visit ) Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"