Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 10/08: Old Taylor 6yo

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    By the way, does the label specify distilled at DSP KY 19? If not, does it state 14 or 25 (Grand Dad or Crow)? I expect the bottling would have been at the then-newly renovated line at Grand Dad.

Roger

Just looked at it and it say DSP KY 19 and Bottled at DSP KY 14.

Very good stuff, IMHO. I'm drinking the 86 from 1983 now and it is very similar with no burn.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

I read somewhere that After Old Taylor shut down in 1972, the brand was produced next door at the Old Crow distillery. I have seem many Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand Dad BIB bottles over time that were bottled at ages greater than their normal stated ages. I attribute this to the slowdown in bourbon sales that started around 1970 and ultimately led to the Whiskey glut!

Thomas

Connoisseur

The day before this post went up, I passed on a handle of 86 proof 6 yr Old Taylor from the 80's. It was overpriced at 35 bucks and since it wasn't tax-stripped or anything I thought, "nah". If the BOTM had been up by then, I definitely would have picked it up. Now I'll probably have to run back and get it. The moral of the story is, "When in doubt, just get it." You'd think by now I'd know.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by scratchline View Post
    The moral of the story is, "When in doubt, just get it." You'd think by now I'd know.
    For me, when it comes to ND Old Taylor of any era, I never have doubt, so the above doesn't apply! (I'd go back and hunt it down for a butterscotch fix if I were you...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Connoisseur

Of course, you're right. But several years ago when I was in California, there was so much OT around I started being much more selective about what I bought. Most of what was out there was 80 proof, so I started cherry picking the bonds and the 86. I remember Chuck posting back when that it was pretty readily available in the Chicago area as well. I imagine things have changed with the dusty hunting rush that seems to be on, but old habits die hard.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur

well, does anyone have detailed tasting notes on the CURRENT bottling?

i saw 3 today on a shelf in claymont delaware near the pa state line...$9.99 a bottle
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good point. Why don't you do one?

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Good point. Why don't you do one?

Gary

hmmm. thanks for the suggestion! and good to be back.
    well, i know $9.99 isn't alot, but this being the current bottling (of course, this store seems to have many a dusty), i was hoping to get a sense of what i might expect before i slap my metaphysics into any sort of tasting notes!

it WAS on the bottom shelf. but then, so was the Old Forester Signature...
    HUP!

Connoisseur

Red face Re: BOTM, 10/08: Old Taylor 6yo

well, i might grab the bottle tomorrow if insane 95 traffic after work doesn't stop me from making a crucial 15 minute stop in claymont DE for a bottle...

i don't know...seems already like something meant for cocktails. i can only honor bourbons that are already decent+ straight....at least it's 6 years...seems like it can't be (at least!) awful.

still, has no one else picked up a bottle of the CURRENT offering? old dusty finds are always of interest, but certainly not widely available to most of us.
    HUP!

Connoisseur

well, i looked at the two bottles on that bottom shelf...one had an 02 on the bottom of the bottle...another 06....i assume (i don't know much about this aspect) they are respectively 2002, 2006 bottlings....?

i left instead with OGD 114...

i don't feel quite inspired to make the 10 dollar leap when i see few here making more remarks on this particular bottling. i feel it will be a 10 dollar lesson...$10 i'd rather invest in something worth 2 or more times more...

ALSO, seems only old bottlings are being commented on...maybe i WILL make the $10 stretch.......
    Last edited by polyamnesia; 10-24-2008 at 18:42.
    HUP!