Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Calling all Old Fitz experts

I picked up a couple bottles of Old Fitz BIB today and would like some clarification.

I have 2 bottles with DSP 16 (which I know is SW) and bottled at DSP 24. The date on the bottom is 94. so, I am assuming that these are SW stock during the Bermheim era. but DSP 24 is not Bernheim. Who bottled this? and is there any other info you can give on this?

Also,

I found a 1.75 liter of Old Fitz BIB with only DSP 16 on it (no bottled at )
    but the date on the bottom is 95. well after the sale to Bernheim. Where do you suppose this was bottled? and why is it not listed?

Thanks in advance !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Disciple

Re: Calling all Old Fitz experts

No first hand knowledge, but I found a hint in this thread (see the third reply.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

DSP-24 is Glenmore in Owensboro. At one time owned by UDV, it was later used by Charles Medley. This may even be the one recently sold to Angostura.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info so far. What about the 1.75 that has no "bottled at" since we are sure it was not bottled at 16????
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

It may have been. Could have been one of the last bottelings or just last of the labels...

Disciple

Like Timothy said, UDV owned all of those plants at the same time. Owensboro had a state of the art bottling line and plenty of warehouses...so, UDV used them for much of their bottling in those days. SW has a bottling line as well. It is just not as big as Owensboro. I don't believe that Bernheim has a bottling line...I could be mistaken, though.

IIRC, Barton now owns the Owensboro facility.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    I don't believe that Bernheim has a bottling line...I could be mistaken, though.

IIRC, Barton now owns the Owensboro facility.
    I think that Bernheim bottles up at Heaven Hill. They take their stuff up there in tankers.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

HH barrels, warehouses and bottles at Bardstown.

I don't believe that Bernheim has ever had a bottling line. Though, I am not fully positive of that.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    HH barrels, warehouses and bottles at Bardstown.
    Before the cistern room was built (not long ago) all new make was barrelled at Bernheim and then warehoused in Bardstown. Brandy (Christian Brother's) was tanked in from California to Bardstown...filled at Heaven Hill and then trucked to Bernheim for storage. This is no longer the case. They barrel at both facilities.

Transition of stock...I was label machine operator when we bought Old Fitz. I remember when that label came up. I had to make positive the DSP matched my paper's. On occasion, with bottling place transition, the julian date was manditory. A jet date was on each and every bottle until old stock labels were used up...

Knowing bottle types is key factor in where that bottle came from. I always kept a eye out for the right bottle until all the old stock was used up. At one time we had the old UD/Seagrams/HH (round)...all of them look nearly identical.

For example...Buffalo Trace bottled the drum for HH, for little while. Knowing the difference between older drum bottles and today's drum (nearly identical) the bottle date is most helpful but it's not on all botlles. ...Brown Foreman did the carry pack till we made upgrades to handle plastic 750....Soooooooooooooooo...getting a exact "bottled at" can be a bit tricky till ya know what to look for, on some bottlings The list goes on...

Bettye Jo
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    DSP-24 is Glenmore in Owensboro. At one time owned by UDV, it was later used by Charles Medley. This may even be the one recently sold to Angostura.
    Not quite.

There are two adjacent but separate plants there and Glenmore used to own both of them. The larger of the two has not had a distillery on the premises for many years but it has a modern bottling house and warehouses. Barton owns it now. After United bought Glenmore they moved the bottling equipment at Fitzgerald to Owensboro and did all of their bottling there. That's DSP-24.

The other plant there is the one with the distillery. It also has some warehouses but not, to my knowledge, a bottling line. Diageo sold that one to Charles Medley, who had been the hired hand there under Glenmore and briefly under United. He never fired up the stills again. That is the plant Angostura now owns.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-24-2008 at 16:02.