Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apprentice

Re: Typical Procedure for Production of Distilled Spirits

This drawing is fairly accurate as to how the distillery process at BT actually operates. As far as the comment:

3. It does seem odd that is shows grain going together and then separating. I think we should remember this is a "typical" schematic rather than an actual drawing of BT.

I think you're misreading it...it's just showing that the pipe goes from the two tubs, joins up, and goes to all three cookers. There's no separation. As to why they aren't mixed in the fermentors...like everything there are many reasons one could come up with, but the economic reason is as good as any. Why run three pipes from the mash house to all 12 fermentors when you can drop the small grain into the cooker and run one pipe.

Kevin

Disciple

Thanks for answering the call, Kevin.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beakerboy View Post
    This drawing is fairly accurate as to how the distillery process at BT actually operates. As far as the comment:

3. It does seem odd that is shows grain going together and then separating. I think we should remember this is a "typical" schematic rather than an actual drawing of BT.

I think you're misreading it...it's just showing that the pipe goes from the two tubs, joins up, and goes to all three cookers. There's no separation. As to why they aren't mixed in the fermentors...like everything there are many reasons one could come up with, but the economic reason is as good as any. Why run three pipes from the mash house to all 12 fermentors when you can drop the small grain into the cooker and run one pipe.

Kevin
    I'm still unclear. Then the small grains are cooked separately and dropped into the cooker with the cooked corn after the temperature has lowered sufficiently? If that's correct, that's not typical. There's not a thing wrong with doing it that way, and some good arguments in favor, but no one else in Kentucky does it that way.