Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Novice

BT Experimental Collection

Hey Y'all,

I've been lurking for a bit, and want to start by saying that I appreciate all of the insight that I've found on these boards.

Now, I've been eagerly anticipating this year's BTAC and have been at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, CA just about every week for the past month to see if the latest had hit. I was rewarded with bottle of last year's ER17 this last visit, but also came across something else: a Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection.

The really strange thing is that it's a rum. Strange. Anyhow, I bought and am wondering if it's one of those things that you open or something that you just look at.

Thanks,
    Chris

Connoisseur

Re: BT Experimental Collection

I would say the BTEC rum is the most uninteresting of the BTEC Collection as it is not bourbon. As far as a collector's item though on a scale from 1-10 its a 9.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cformes View Post
    Anyhow, I bought and am wondering if it's one of those things that you open or something that you just look at.
    I would look at it...in my glass.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I have one as well and plan on doing a vertical with it and other rums.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I have one and it'll be opened the next time I have good friends over

Dawn

Enthusiast

I'd probably only share it with me pirate mateys.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Novice

Thanks everyone, I think I'll hold onto to until Talk Like a Pirate Day next year.

Virtuoso

Great Find! I have never found a BT Experimental in California. I don't get to Hi-Times much but I check the website from time to time, though you might have snatched it up before it went on-line.

Let us know how it is.

Guru

Shaking the Tree and Beating the Bush in L.A./O.C.

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Great Find! I have never found a BT Experimental in California. I don't get to Hi-Times much but I check the website from time to time, though you might have snatched it up before it went on-line.

Let us know how it is.

When I lived in Long Beach, I would call Hi-Time and tell them I was going to drive either to Costa Mesa or to L.A. and Van Nuys (locations of Beverage Warehouse and Wine & Liquor Depot) to pick up an assorted case of bourbon. Then I'd ask them if they had anything special that wasn't on the shelf, much less on the website. That's how I got my first bottle of Stagg.

I guess if I were a real negotiator, I would have made a similar call to Wine & Liquor Depot, but that drive was a little too long to be fun.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 10-22-2008 at 19:43.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Virtuoso

Re: Shaking the Tree and Beating the Bush in L.A./O.C.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    When I lived in Long Beach, I would call Hi-Time and tell them I was going to drive either to Costa Mesa or to L.A. and Van Nuys (locations of Beverage Warehouse and Wine & Liquor Depot) to pick up an assorted case of bourbon. Then I'd ask them if they had anything special that wasn't on the shelf, much less on the website. That's how I got my first bottle of Stagg.

I guess if I were a real negotiator, I would have made a similar call to Wine & Liquor Depot, but that drive was a little too long to be fun.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Love it!!

I'm closer to Wine and Liquor Depot, so I tend to go there and just check the website for Hi-Time, but I'm sure I lose out on that.

Don't know when you moved, but as of last year, we now have K&L in Hollywood as well (very close for me), which gets the full BT Antique collection, but I've still never seen an Experimental there.